Hiding the front page menu in Rise

May 08, 2018

Hi. I read the article about hiding the navigation menu in Rise, but I am wondering if it is possible to hide the menu on the front page, but still leave the navigation as free once they enter the course? I would ideally like to have the sidebar menu open when they enter, I just don't want the user to see the list when they arrive on the front page of the course.  

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Good news, everyone! We've just released a new feature that allows you to turn off the cover page when you publish for LMS to improve compatibility, streamline training, and get learners into content faster. Give it a try, and let us know if you have any questions about it!

Note: You can't hide the cover page for training created from Next Big Idea Club content templates.

35 Replies
Katie Riggio

Welcome, Joanna – glad you're exploring Rise!

It sounds to me like you’re looking to hide the lesson titles seen in the front page. So your learners won't see the agenda when they enter your course, but they will see the list on the side after they start your course.

I want to make sure I give you the best advice, so let me know if that isn't quite right!

RiseFront

I'll be here! ☺️

Alyssa Gomez

Hey again Joanna! 👋

After rereading your post, I see you want to hide the front page menu but still keep the sidebar menu open. 

For now, you can do one or the other: keep the front page menu and sidebar menu, or remove both menus completely. There isn't a third option to remove the front page menu and keep the sidebar menu open. I'm happy to pass along a suggestion to our Product team for that third option, though! 

One more tip: If you're not planning to host the course on a LMS, you can skip the front menu page entirely by linking directly to the first lesson in your course. My colleague Bret recorded a quick tutorial of that right here. 

craig Sumner

Hi Joanna

I have done what you describe above by using my own custom CSS after I have exported the course, the downside to this is that everytime you export your course (because of updates or tweaks) from Rise you would need to add the custom CSS and a line in the index.html page to make it work again.

if you would like to know more let me know, and I can give you some details.

craig Sumner

Hi here are the steps that i took to turn off the navigation on the first page but keep it in the side Menu.

Please note that at the point of writing this, this works with Rise, but this could become obsolete in future updates from the articulate team.

So to begin with you will be adding this functionality once you have exported your Rise course and have downloaded to your computer, this will either be as a scorm package or as a standalone package to play on your computer locally.

Once you have the downloaded package you need to unzip the file and locate the following path within, dependant on what package you have downloaded,

scorm package path = (name of your file)/scormcontent/lib,

Local package = (name of your file)/lib,

Download the file that I have attached and place in this location.

Next, you need to modify the index.html file it can be found in either of these locations

Scorm package path = /(name of your file)/scormcontent

Local package = /(name of your file)

Once you have found it open the file using a text editing piece of software such as notepad or text wrangler or Dreamweaver if you have it.

Inside the code for the html, you need to paste the following

<!--custom css-->
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="lib/custom.css">

Paste it just after </script> around line 18 and click save

If you are running this file locally and not as a scorm package that's all the steps you can now open index.html and should see the changes.

If you are modifying a scorm package jump back to the previous directory

Scorm package path = /(name of your file)

And in a text editor open imsmanifest.xml

Look for the section that says <!-- RUNTIME COMMON STUFF -->

And add the following after the last entry <file href="scormcontent/lib/custom.css"/> and click save.

Now select all items in this directory and zip them back up and move to a new location. and test on your LMS

And that's it I will stress that if you alter the CSS too much you can break the functionality with Rise in my testing this has not done so with this custom script probably because all we are doing is implementing the same function as what turning the menu of in Rise does

Charline Simonin

Hello

We would like to do this too. When you are using an LMS and have your lessons split into separate Rise files (which make for better experience within LMS, the front Rise page just adds an extra unnecessary step - so this video https://360.articulate.com/review/content/cf648dd1-a31e-49b5-b813-246a3eb86164/review isn't a solution.

Also would still want the left hand menu once in the course.

Adding CSS to each file isn't a feasible solution for us unfortunately

Thanks 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.