How to remove pop-out button from my embedded object

May 05, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to upload a pdf onto my course without it becoming downloadable or printable.  I was finally able to embed my pdf without using story line, but now there is a pop-out button in the embedded slide which allows you to download and print what I embedded.  How can you remove the pop-out button from my slide?  I tried deleting it through the page code, but it just keeps coming back.  

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Josh

1 Reply
Christopher Santos

Hi Joshua,

If you wish to prevent your PDF from getting downloaded or printed, one method is to add #toolbar=0 at the end of your source URL (i.e.,  https://www.web.com/file/sample.pdf#toolbar=0).

Using this code will disable the toolbar in your PDF file.

Check out this screenshot that shows the embedded PDF without the #toolbar=0 in the source URL (foreground image) versus the one with the code (background image):

tb

This method will not totally prevent others from downloading or printing your PDF file.  For example, they can still right-click on the file and print it as a PDF.  But hopefully, this helps in limiting their options.

Also, if you haven't done so, you may want to consider watermarking your PDF files to help protect your intellectual property.