Links in RISE 360

Apr 14, 2023

Hi, When I put a link in Rise, when I click on the link, it opens the document but there is no way to get back to the course as a learner. Is there a way to have the linked document pop up in a new window so the learner can navigate back to the course?

14 Replies
Christopher Santos

Hi Jody,

Links you add in Rise should always open in a new tab or window.  Rise adds an attribute to the hyperlink that forces it to do so - using the <target> attribute of the anchor tag.  

Can you check that you don't have any browser plugins that are forcing the link to open in the same tab?  Check out this third-party link also to check how you can make your browser open the links in a new tab.  The exact steps may vary and will depend on the browser you are using.

Camille Stover

This issue isn’t the browser because it behaves as expected when we preview the course (it opens in a new tab) in our browser (Microsoft Edge) and for most other links we click on.  The issue doesn’t happen until we export the Rise 360 file to the SCORM 1.2 file and import it into Workday.  I checked with the Workday team and there are no settings they can change on their end to make the SCORM file behave differently. We have other SCORM files from other vendors where their course opens in a new pop-up window, but for some reason that is not the case with the Rise 360 SCORM files. They believe there is something in the file that is causing it to open in the same window.

Tanya Corlett

Hi,

We've had similar problems with another LMS called Litmos when users wanted to open PDF Litmos has its own PDF reader and forces a PDF to open in the user's window. This was despite the fact that we set the document to open in a new window.

What we ended up doing was to put a Note block just before the download telling users to right click the download object name, then choose the option to open in new window. We did this to stop users telling us that they had opened a file, lost their place in the learning and had to go back to the start of the module. I've attached an image of this note block to this reply.

This might work for you.

Angelo Cruz

Hi Stan! That's a nice workaround to this behavior.

Adding a note is a good way of letting your users know what to do with certain blocks or attachments so that they don't lose their progress in their learning.

I'm just curious, have you checked with your LMS administrator if they have a setting that you can toggle or enable to open the PDF reader in a new window instead?

Thanks again for sharing!

Camille Stover

Thanks, we don't have the option to have Workday open a certain way either.  Some SCORM files open in pop-up windows, and some don't and I'm not sure why they would behave differently, which is what led me to believe it must be something in the SCORM file.  Plus, I reached out to the Workday team, and they said there was not a setting to force it to open a particular way.  The course had many links in it linking out to resources that I didn't want to upload because I wanted them to always have the most updated version.  I tried to upload them as a pdf and ran into the same issue where that opened in the same window as well, so I just ended up giving instructions on how to get to the site.  I feel like many people would miss the note to open using the right click because they tend to miss a lot of other important notes like that such as completions taking 24-48 hours to synch with our LXP, so I'd rather avoid creating tons of questions for an all company launch since it's just a team of me and a contractor ;).  Hopefully, a solution is found for this for the people that have LMSs that don't have a setting to force it to open in a particular way because it was really a big disappointment to not be able to use that!