Ownership of Rise Courses

Dec 21, 2017

Is there anyway to get ownership back or will there be a feature to get ownership back after transferred. For instance, if I transfer a Rise course to a co-worker and they somehow are not in the office or unable to access it, how can I get it back?

73 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for reaching out - I hope you're loving Rise so far! 

The transfer of ownership doesn't have a feature to "revoke" the transfer. The new owner would have to transfer it back to you.Our team is continuing to add new features to Rise and all the Articulate 360 tools - so I'll share this discussion as they continue to discuss ideas around ownership of a Rise course. 

Amber Holt-Geary

Hi Ashley,

What is the best way to handle getting ownership back if the new owner somehow cannot do so. For example, a situation that they are offline or unable.

Also, if an email address was entered wrong and ownership then transferred to a wrong email, how would the ownership be recovered?

Thanks!

Amber Holt-Geary

Hi Amber, 

We have recommended steps to use if a colleague has left your team, but not just if they are offline or on vacation for example. Follow these steps:

1) Ask your IT staff to temporarily forward the user's email address to you or to grant you temporary access to their email account. You'll need this to complete step 3 below. 

2) Add the email address back to your Articulate 360 Teams account as a user, temporarily. 

3) Reset the user's Articulate 360 password here,

4) Sign into Articulate 360 with the user's email address and new password: https://360.articulate.com 

5) Transfer ownership of each Rise course to another user on your team

6) When you're done, you can remove the user from your Articulate 360 account. 

To avoid this scenario going forward, we recommend asking users to transfer their Rise courses to new owners before leaving the team, if possible.

If you entered the email address in wrong, reach out to our Support team here and we can help track it down! 

Ian Martin

Just experienced this same frustration where a team member is away for a week and urgent changes have been requested. I appreciate the guidance above for some sort of solution. Looking forward to seeing a long-term solution feature. 

Should an organisation have a dedicated email address where you can transfer ownership at final stage and anyone on team could then access this generic team email should further access be required? Management keep asking me for our team's plan for an archival master copy.

Donald Kerns

We recently moved to a 360 Team account and I was very disappointed with the lack of options for collaborators. I can see the owner being the only one to delete the course, but not being able to access to the Settings, Share, Review, and Export IS NOT HELPFUL! Apparently Articulate's definition of "Collaboration" is "edit the course" and nothing else. Editing a course could be far more dangerous than letting collaborators share or post it on Review!

Currently, we must go to the course "owner" each time we need to publish it to Review or to export the course (even after the collaborator makes a single edit...). At a minimum, the following permissions are needed:

• Owner
    • Manage course collaborators (add, edit, delete)
    • Delete a course
    • Everything else
  • Collaborators
    • No rights to delete the course
    • No rights to manage course collaborators
    • Everything else including rights to edit the course, and change the theme, navigation, labels, share preview, publish to review, and export to LMS/web

But with a diverse group like Rise authors, more granular control is really needed. Rise needs a more robust Collaborator permissions page that lets the course owner set each permission for each collaborator (see the attached mockup).

Hi Melissa,

There isn't a way to access another user's Rise courses, but as I shared it's something our team is tracking requests on and this discussion is tagged for an update if it makes our roadmap. 

Right now, here are our recommendations for accessing Rise courses for a user that's no longer on your team with some help from your IT staff are the same as shared a couple months ago. If you run into any problems with that, please feel free to let me or our team know, and we'll help as much as we can! 

Leslie McKerchie

That's correct Melissa. Sorry if we misunderstood your question.

All collaboration, administration, and seat management features are a part of a Teams Plan. You can check out all of our FAQs here.

With our Individual subscriptions, they are really geared more for true individuals, and because of that can't be transferred and need to be purchased directly by the end user. 

Kristin explains this really nicely here and there are some contact links if you wish to reach out to the team directly.

Sara Davies

I second the need for collaborators to have more than just editing access. Today a colleague was home sick, and added me as a collaborator so I could make edits requested by the SME. Unfortuantely, I couldn't publish the new version to give to the SME, and had to bother my colleague at home to get on her computer again to republish. This seems like a really silly restriction.

Lywanda Held

Just adding another  vote for the need to grant collaborator rights to exporting etc. Situation: Over 100 Rise courses created for a training curriculum. I'm the Owner and will be out of the office for a period of time. Transferring the ownership of 100 courses is cumbersome at best.  Additionally, the inability to sort the courses in Review similar to the folders in Rise would be most appreciated.

Otherwise Rise was the perfect tool for rapid development of 4 weeks of distance learning curriculum.

Katie Riggio

Welcome to the community, Christine! 👋

I ran a few tests this morning, and did not run into any issues when republishing a transferred Rise course to Review on my end. Here's a quick Peek of what I saw

I'd be happy to dig deeper into this with you! Can you share a little more detail on what you're seeing – perhaps a Peek for a Peek? Also, is this happening with all projects, or a particular one? 

I'll be standing by!

Ian Jaffe

I am running into this issue right now with the example above with a coworker who is out of the office on leave and a request comes through to update a course they own.  It is very frustrating that there is no ability to have that course transferred to a new owner either by our designated 360 account admins or support.  I get the support response of privacy concerns and not wanting to see the content, but do they really need access to the content to be able to change a simply package ownership assignment.  And getting access to someone else's email to use their login temporarily as described above is completely against corporate security policy.  There needs to be a better way to do this.

Katelyn  Cole

This is definitely a huge restriction for my team to be able to use Rise. We have a huge library of content, and everyone on our team needs to be able to access, edit, and publish courses on an as-needed basis in order to keep up with compliance updates, customer feedback/technical issues, etc. Having to transfer the course between owners adds an unnecessary step to our workflow, which is the opposite of what we need - we're trying to streamline our processes as much as possible. 

Please consider adding a feature where a course can be shared with a pre-designated "team" and anyone on that team can have access to edit and publish content. Also, please make it possible (and ideally, easy) to add more people to a team, to accomodate onboarding new people.