Playing Storyline blocks inline in Rise on mobile devices

Apr 06, 2021

Hi everyone

I’m building a course in Rise in which I added a few Storyline blocks.

When the course is used on a mobile phone, the Storyline blocks are black. Once the users taps the play button, the interaction launches full screen. When they want to continue in Rise, the X-button must be tapped first.

Our client is not very fond of the way this works. They are afraid it will confuse or distract the learners. A seamless mobile experience is really important to them.

I already contacted support and they told me there is no option available to play the Storyline blocks inline in Rise. But I was wondering if any of you found some kind of workaround? Maybe using JavaScript?

Or maybe someone with experience using JavaScript in Storyline is willing to offer their services as a freelancer on quite a short notice to help us with this problem?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas about this!

12 Replies
UCP Connect

Hi Josh,

We are encountering the same issue. 

We are embedding the Rise course in a lightbox on our LMS, and, unfortunately, the exit "X" of the Storyline Module is at the same spot as the exit "X" of our Rise course. This means mobile users have no way of exiting the Storyline Module without also exiting the Rise course.

Have you found a solution for embedding Storyline content inline with the Rise course so it appears on mobile devices the same way it does on computers and tablets?

Thanks,

Baljot

UCP Connect

Thank you, Lea.

I was able to resolve this issue by not using the Storyline block, but instead embedding the storyline module via the Embed Multimedia block.

Embedding the iframe for my Storyline content resulted in it being viewable inline with the Rise content - without the need to exit any new window/lightbox/overlay.

TJEP Portal Team

I am having a similar issue (I think).

I contacted support and they could not recreate the issue, but I can’t solve it on my end.

Here’s the problem.

I have a Storyline block embedded in a Rise course.  When I try to run the course on mobile (safari - iPhone 14) the block goes not work.  If you press the play icon you get a blank screen (maybe it is a player but you can’t seem to exit it). 

But, when support tried to recreate this, they sent me a new course with the exact same Storyline block and it worked.

Plus, if you edit the course on mobile (which I know is technically not supported) the Block appears and works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  See the video.

Angelo Cruz

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your Storyline block not playing on mobile Safari. You mentioned that support wasn't able to replicate the issue and they were able to provide a sample Rise course with the same Storyline block that works fine.

Were you able to check with the support personnel what was done from their end to make your Storyline content work? I would reply to the support personnel to check the steps or process they did to embed the Storyline content and make it work on a mobile device.

If you can provide the case number, I can take a look and follow up with the support personnel to contact you regarding this matter.

TJEP Portal Team
Thank you for your reply. 

The case number for this issue is 03685179.

The support associate did explain what he did and I followed his instructions.  However, I was still unable to get the Storyline blocks to work in my version of the course.  

I tested this both directly from Rise (with a Share link) and from an LMS (ScormCloud).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Jose Tansengco

Hello Phygital Dev,

Happy to chime in!

If you're referring to the behavior where embedded Storyline 360 blocks in a Rise 360 course open in full screen, this is still currently the expected behavior. Embedded blocks will open in full screen when interacted with, and you'll need to tap on the 'X' icon in the upper right-hand corner to return to the Rise 360 course. 

If you're referencing the issue where embedded Storyline 360 blocks are not playing properly, please open a case with our support team here so we can take a look at your Rise 360 course to see what's happening!