Poor image quality when uploading an image with Rise

Apr 10, 2017

Hello,

I created and saved-for-web a .png image in Photoshop. When I uploaded it with Rise (as a centered image in my blocks-lesson), it converted it with poor quality. Is it possible to avoid those artifacts? Looks not so good when a course is viewed on PC screen.

Thank you!

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

248 Replies
Daniel Nyakana

For all those experiencing this problem I found a straight forward workaround that's very easy and will give you 100% full quality image resolution without any loss at all. 

Whether you save for scorm or tin can or web the zipped files that are produced contain:

If saved for scorm a folder named:  scormcontent > assets 

In this folder are all the images you used in your course simply find the image that was loosing quality and replace it with the original image - be sure to name it with the same name as the one your replacing. Simple as that.

If save for web, go into: content > assets 

In this folder pretty much do the same as the above direction.

Quick update to the above post: 

Make sure to use a (.jpg) extension for the new image which you paste in the folder. This is the extension that gets written in the final files. If you use an image that happens to be a (.png) for example it won't take it and the image will look broken or missing even though you named it the exact name and that's because in the code RISE writes a (.jpg) extension. 

Hack #101 from Daniel - more hacks to come :)

Reach out to me if you need any help. 

Daniel

Irina Poloubessov

Love it, Daniel! Great idea, thank you!

Hopefuly the Articulate team will solve this issue from the very beginning, to avoid this (brilliant!) extra step in future :) It's a pity that the images created purposefully in PNG format are converted to JPG without an option for us to control the fact of the conversion or its quality.

Erica Ruchman

Hello Everyone,

I am having a great deal of trouble getting optimal resolution from vector images in Rise. Some images have necessitated some 11 export attempts to hit the sweet spot, and still look poor on screen.

Below I've attached a side-by-side comparison of two images in the image full width block. The top was exported at 1x 1100 by 235 as a .png. The second was in the same dimensions, exported at 300 ppi at 2x the scale as a png8. I've tried everything in between. Please help!

Daniel Nyakana

Hi Rachel, 

there is a work around for this.

Whether you save for scorm or tin can or web the zipped files that are produced contain:

If saved for scorm a folder named:  scormcontent > assets 

In this folder are all the images you used in your course simply find the image that was loosing quality and replace it with the original image - be sure to name it with the same name as the one your replacing. Simple as that.

If save for web, go into: content > assets 

In this folder pretty much do the same as the above direction.

Make sure to use a (.jpg) extension for the new image which you paste in the folder. This is the extension that gets written in the final files. If you use an image that happens to be a (.png) for example it won't take it and the image will look broken or missing even though you named it the exact name and that's because in the code RISE writes a (.jpg) extension. 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Articulate Team,

I see this great idea of a workaround with the replacing of the images with .jpg extention --- it means that regardless which image we upload (png, gif, jpg) -- Articulate converts it to jpg , and we out of control of the Settings it uses for the jpg?

I love Articulate products very much for their great performance and usability, however with regards to the images I find it very confusing and upsetting: to automatically convert all our Images to JPG  -- this is not a transparent process and without our control on our own data.
If we choose to upload PNG we have a reason behind it and we want to keep it ot at least to be asked about the JPG settings if the conversion is inevitable. Why not leave the images as they are, without any additional processing on them? We take this responsiblity on ourselves to ensure the best image quality.

Move Training  Team

Ok. I'd like to clarify the severity of this issue because it's... well... bad.

Images are obviously a core part of any content out there, and this (attached) is embarrassing to deliver to our customers.  It's nearly unreadable, much less presentable. 

Given that the below is the first sentence from the knowledge article on images, I hope that the team is treating the issue with a commensurate level of importance:

"Rise uses cutting-edge image compression that reduces file sizes with virtually no loss of quality. "

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for popping in to share an additional example Joe. I shared the first image with our team and if you have this image to share as another example, I'd be happy to pass it along as well.

Looks like you're quoting our documentation here, which I wanted to share for anyone following along.

Do you have higher resolution images to test in your content? It looks like the image you shared above is 105 KB and only 439 x 845 pixels.

Alex Bradley

Hello, is there any update on this issue? I too experience quality loss when uploading images to Rise. The original post for this thread was posted by Irina Poloubessov over 1 year ago - that seems like an awful (almost unacceptable) amount of time to not have a resolution for this issue? 

(Thanks for the genius workaround Daniel Nyakana - it's a welcome but unnecessary step and fairly time consuming when you use a lot of images (as I do) in the design) 

Alex

Andrew Crotty

I have Just come across this problem with my first attempt at using RISE. My images are being heavily compressed not just by .jpg conversion but also PNG-8! 8bit compression is not cutting edge its equivalent to GIF? 

So far I am loving RISE but this might quickly become a deal breaker, I need more than 256 colours!

Full disclosure - I have not published this course only previewed it and saved images from the preview, so forgive me or correct me if when publishing the course the images will be compressed to a higher standard, but even if this is the case there should be more options or control available.

Hopefully someone may be able to comment/assist?