130 Replies
Víctor Gómez

My own experience on this issue is that Rise uses a very agressive compression of bitmaps when stored on the cloud during authoring, not on final export. I guess that this is intended to limit the storage cost. But amazon and google have image archive solutions that preserve quality and are offered for free.

In previous Rise releases, full color PNG images where always palette-reduced and dithered without warning. Now they are always converted to JPG and the poor quality produces a lot of artifacts on flat areas.

Anyway, the current situation is not acceptable for a quality (and costly) authoring solution and should be addressed. Maybe on general settings you could configure the media quality for storage? At least, you could preserve PNG quality and apply compression only to JPGs. That way, authors could choose what kind of image to use for different scenarios.

Paul Knights

Never thought of the "limit the storage cost" angle before ... sounds very plausible.

I know we use huge amounts of video in our courses, and if everyone is doing the same then Articulates servers will get full very quickly! The PNG solution although what we want would still not address storage capacity for articulate. Maybe we could have the option to have our assets stored locally - but this could prove difficult for non localised teams and collaborative working.

Still, would be nice to have the option!

ps - how about keeping the same asset file names so we could easily replace on export?

Irina Poloubessov

Interesting aspect of storage cost - but then, if there is a limit on image size, we could still prepare it locally at the quality that is satisfactory for us, on our own responsibility. I'd rather play with settings in Photoshop to reduce the file size, rather then have it uncontrollably converted to low-quality JPG.