Poor image quality when uploading an image with Rise

Apr 10, 2017

Hello,

I created and saved-for-web a .png image in Photoshop. When I uploaded it with Rise (as a centered image in my blocks-lesson), it converted it with poor quality. Is it possible to avoid those artifacts? Looks not so good when a course is viewed on PC screen.

Thank you!

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

248 Replies
Cass Netzley

Does this new "remove image degradation" file naming "switch" apply to all block types that have the capability of having image assets uploaded into them?

Our designers, instructors, and students have made note of Carousel blocks being egregious offenders of the image degradation/compression. 

Thanks!

Cass Netzley

Thanks, Crystal! 

I was just about to respond to my own post. My team is elated about this and found the same as you mentioned about the carousel, labeled graphics, and all the other imageable block types.

Cheers and big thanks to the Articulate Rise team for listening to your users and bringing this option about. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kora! Thanks for reaching out.

Does your image look blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nova!

If you need to add more white space around the edges of your image, you can easily do that by inserting the image on a blank PowerPoint slide. Align the image to the center of the slide, then save the PPT file as a PNG image.

Finally, insert the PNG image into the Rise 360 image block. 

Let us know if that helps you!

Roland Straub

Sorry, but I have to get this off my chest,

Don't we have here one of the most discussed threads and is it possible, that it's one of the oldest, still ongoing threats/problems? Maybe in the whole world? it's been around for a good three years not. C'mon guys!?

I'm adding a screenshot that shows the fair quality PNG I shot with snagit on the right side and on the left, the just terrible result of how it looks in my latest RISE project.

I really don't know why I am burning a hefty CHF 1300 a year for that. This is highly unprofessional and as soon as I learn of another tool, that can do about the same, I'll be outa here.

best Roland

Roland Straub

Hi JC

Thx a lot for the hint, which actually helped! Nevertheless, I'm a sort of power user in my company and one of the very few who speak English (I know, there's a German community, but it's not more than a shadow of what this community is). Therefore I can relate to hints like yours. But the reason why we selected articulate/rise was, that it's so front-end-oriented easy-to-use and does not require any IT know-how.

I still try to explain this to my rise users but I also believe, that the pic import should work naturally and look good.

But again, thanks for the tip and have a good week
Roland

JC Blanchard

HI Roland, 

This workaround has been implemented 7 months ago. (you can see Alyssa Gomez's comment on page 7 of this post). It works very well for me. To save myself the extra work of renaming the files by hand, I use the automatic renaming feature in Adobe Bridge to add _NOPROCESS_ to the filenames of the images I need to keep uncompressed. Other software or utilities could be used to do the same.

Glad to help!

Jan Dusek

It would be great to have a more general solution. Either in the form of a better compression algorithm or a course- or system-wide switch that would prevent the recompression from ever being applied.

I compress all raster images using dedicated tools (jpegmini, optimage). But then I forget to add the _NOPROCESS_ suffix on about every 5th image, which results in Rise recompressing the image, reducing its quality significantly and making the file larger at the same time.

Cass Netzley

Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

Edith, are you using the above naming toggle to turn off the compression for an image?

TestImage.png 

would become TestImage_NOPROCESS_.png