Poor image quality when uploading an image with Rise

Apr 10, 2017

Hello,

I created and saved-for-web a .png image in Photoshop. When I uploaded it with Rise (as a centered image in my blocks-lesson), it converted it with poor quality. Is it possible to avoid those artifacts? Looks not so good when a course is viewed on PC screen.

Thank you!

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

248 Replies
Jan Dusek

By the way, is there something like _NOPROCESS_ for videos?

Every video asset I upload gets reencoded and ends up being 2-3x the original size. For example my original file (8.3MB):

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '01 - IVRv3 - final_NOPROCESS_.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf58.29.100
Duration: 00:07:00.76, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 157 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1728x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 8:5], 96 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : Core Media Video
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, mono, fltp, 52 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : Core Media Audio

Same file when exported by Rise (23.5MB):

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'dTOkrwFfZ5Gnb1xZ_transcoded-Hz-bDN6U0jmxEOFU-01 - IVRv3 - final_NOPROCESS_.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf57.71.100
Duration: 00:07:00.77, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 447 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 160 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : SoundHandler
Stream #0:1(und): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1152x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 8:5], 278 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : VideoHandler

So lower resolution and yet almost 3x times larger file.

Crystal Horn

Hello, Sergio. We're happy to help you, too! It looks like you indicated that you weren't able to use special characters in the image file name with the _NOPROCESS_ tip.

Can you tell me a bit more about what characters you're using? What happens? Can you share an example image file here with a file name that doesn't work?

Thanks!

Teresa Vanderpost

I know this is an old post but I am having an issue as well.  I used a side by side two images.  I am converting a course from an old software tool before flash disappears so I only have their images to work with.  The original if kept small is nice and clear but when I use an image block, I can't control the size of the two images and they are so blurry.  Thoughts.

First to images are the originals and then I attached a screenshot of how they look loaded into RISE.

Jeff Forrer

Good day. I took a look at your images.  I would say that the issue is not with Rise but with your images.  Your original images are quite small and low resolution.  When shown at their original size they are find, but if you try and enlarge, with any program, they are going to distort and not look sharp, this is because of their original resolution. 

Try using images from the Articulate library instead or find images from sites such as pexels.com, unsplash.com, or paid sites such as shutterstock or istock and download high resolution images, your results should be much better. 

Here are some free images from pexels.com for keyboards.  https://www.pexels.com/search/keyboard/

Good luck!

Teresa Vanderpost

Thanks Jeff, that is what I figured, I was just hoping there may have been a work around.  I have been asked to keep the original images, so if that is the case I will just have to try some other options like Image/text block instead.  But I think I will look at the content library and other images as well in case they change their mind.  Thank you for the speedy reply.

Cass Netzley

That's no hack, that's the solution aka naming toggle to switch off image compression. It wasn't originally in Rise for the first couple of years and the developers added it after the many asks on here & feature requests.

As far as I know, Articulate has no plans to alter the compression algorithms applied to user uploaded graphics (that lack the no compression naming toggle). It's a server-side space-saving decision, considering they're hosted in AWS and that costs them at the enterprise level based on overall storage used month-to-month, year-to-year.

It would be nice if the feature could be a setting at the project level!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Sofia! 

You can add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file, and this will maintain its original quality during the upload process. I've attached your image file with the updated file name, so give that one a try in your Rise 360 course. 

Also, be sure to use 10% text contrast to reduce the contrasting overlay as much as possible.