Rise preview link for participants

Oct 01, 2018

Hi Community, 

Out of interest, has anyone used the Rise preview link for a small number of participants? We don't need to capture any tracking and the course has a very short shelf life.

10 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hey Angela,

Thanks for reaching out to ask your question about how to best share your Rise course.

I cannot speak for the community, but your example of how you need to use it almost matches perfectly to how we describe using the web link:

If you have a small audience and don’t need to track learners’ progress, the quickest way to share a Rise course is to send them a web link for it.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Angela. Glad you're checking out Rise! 🍎

You can Preview a Rise course at any time to see how it looks. Click on the Preview button in the upper right corner of the course editor to switch to preview mode. You can also see how the course will look on computers, tablets, and smartphones by clicking on the device icons in the upper right-hand side of the page. When you’re done, click Edit to exit preview mode and return to the course editor.

Now if you need to Share the course with a few learners and don't need to track their progress, check out the options below! 😊

Does that help?

Allison LaMotte

Hi Mike,

The share link is not meant for sharing courses with learners. It doesn't track their progress or participation, so they'll have to start over each time they come back to the course. For the best learner experience, we recommend publishing for web or LMS. 

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Mike Woods

Hi Allison,

Sorry for the delay responding. I thought I would be notified if I got a response.

That's what I'm trying to do. We have an LMS for our tracked content, but we would also like to make small bite-sized chunks of learning available in a more immediate form. It does not need to be tracked, and bookmarking would not be needed. However, it might get a fair amount of traffic.

Anthony Karcz

Thanks, Mike! When you don't need to track progress, we recommend publishing your content to the web (or an internal site on your network). Even if you're not tracking progress, publishing content to a permanent page allows you to view traffic and engagement data. 

This recent article can help get you started (I used these steps on a sample course and was up and running in about 5 minutes...that includes signing up for web hosting!). 

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)

Brendan Varley

Hi Allison! I realize this post is very old. Can you put a number or cap on the amount of users that could access a Preview link without issues? I think that is what some visitors here are curious about. What is the official Articulate definition of a "small number", and at what point do you decide to export to a cloud service versus continue with a preview link? That would be great to have an SOP of sorts. ID colleagues in my organization have discussed using preview links for small pre-work assignments for instructor-led courses. I have done this in the past with success, and I also publish courses to the Google Cloud for long term storage and launches to larger audiences. Personally, once a class size grows beyond 50+ stakeholders accessing a Preview link for feedback, I move to export to Google Cloud. Sometimes this occurs when stakeholders want to experience the course on their phone, so the preview link is best before publication (rather than Review 360 platform), and I often wonder about max traffic in those situations. Reviewers can get up to 50 in my institution. Thank you for the time!

Lea Agato

Hi, Brendan! It sounds like you’ve got the right idea for sharing Rise courses.  Your stakeholders/reviewers access the preview link for feedback/review, while you keep courses in Google Cloud for sharing with learners and for long-term storage. This provides anyone viewing your courses the best experience.

I understand you're looking for specific numbers, but there isn't a hard limit to the number of people previewing your content using the share link. We monitor for unusually high spikes in users viewing courses via the share link, but it’s not likely that you’re going to high a number that will give you any performance issues. I hope this helps!