Rise reset progress

Apr 13, 2021

Hi I was looking at the latest updates in the Rise Version History and saw this one here. 

Just wondering where you choose to reset learner progress, it doesn't mention it in the click here for more information link.

23 Replies
SibaPrasad Padhi

Thank you for this info. I would like to know if this will also work, in case the user complete for example 30% of the course, and then left it. In between the course is updated as another version. So when the user open this new version is the bookmarking feature still work where they left the course previously? Is there any pop-up info shows at user end, when they open the LMS link? What is the scenario:

1. when the course structure remain same and content changed to the lesson area
  2. When the lesson also changed, removed, added 
  3. How the video bookmarking works?
Alyssa Gomez

Hi SibaPrasad,

Thanks for your questions about the Reset Learner Progress option in Rise 360.

If you update a course that has learners in-progress, those learners will start over from the beginning of the course (0% complete). They will see the most up-to-date version of the course with the lessons you changed, added, or deleted. Videos will reset back to the beginning.

Let me know if that answers your question! 

Karl Muller

Hi Gordon,

If you are not having any problems with an edited course not loading, do not use this option.

If this option is enabled, Alyssa explains just above what will happen to learners:

"If you update a course that has learners in-progress, those learners will start over from the beginning of the course (0% complete). They will see the most up-to-date version of the course with the lessons you changed, added, or deleted. Videos will reset back to the beginning."

Stephanie Dinan

Hi Crystal, sorry if this has already been stated but I'm having trouble following this thread. I have the same issue with Rise courses that have been updated and reloaded to the LMS. Users that try to resume after the update get the blank screen. I have tried republishing using the setting Reset Learning Progress with the toggle on. This doesn't seem to do anything and when I open the Rise course again the option is toggled off. Is this still an ongoing issue and is there any other workaround? 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Stephanie!  Please open a support case here so that one of our technical support engineers can assist you directly. It seems that you have already tried Resetting Learner Progress as well as republishing but your learners are still getting a blank page. Please include information on the LMS that you are using in your support case.

Melanie Latin

What is the work-around for this situation: 

"I updated a course that has learners in-progress.  So now, those learners will start over from the beginning of the course (0% complete). They will see the most up-to-date version of the course with the lessons you changed, added, or deleted. Videos will reset back to the beginning."

I obviously don't want my learners to lose the progress they have made, yet I still have to publish updates to the course.

So... looking for a work-around here?  The LMS I use is the LearnDash plugin to WP.

Karl Muller

Hi Melanie,

This mostly depends on the behavior and functionality of your LMS.

Some LMS's will always reset learner progress to 0% complete whenever you upload a new SCORM because it will treat it as a brand new course.

Our LMS gives us two options: replace the content of an existing course (thereby retaining student progress), or treat it as a new course (reset progress requiring a complete course restart).

Karl Muller

Hi Melanie,

We use the TopClass LMS.

Note that you can only replace the content of an existing course if the changes are limited to content changes.

If you are making any structural changes, e.g. adding a few new Lessons, this must be treated as a new course, as student resume data will no longer be able to be read back into the course.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Lesley! So sorry to hear that toggling reset learner progress does not work for you.

I would suggest troubleshooting your file in SCORM Cloud to check if the behavior is the same. SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content.

This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content.

You'll also find some helpful LMS-troubleshooting tips here.

If your course works properly in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, kindly share your SCORM Cloud findings with your LMS provider to troubleshoot the issue. 

If the course encounters the same issues in SCORM Cloud, open a case with us here so that we can investigate. 
Liam O'Donovan

Just thought I would chime into this thread as every once in a while we have client users who run into issues with updated content. To echo what Karl Muller said, it's important to know that updates with significant structural changes can cause issues with the suspend data. I've tested several Rise updates in our LMS with small changes like swapping text, images, and videos and current users are not affected. We typically recommend that updates with significant changes are only assigned to new users with older users finishing the outdated content first. We do, however, have the ability to reset a user's attempt back to the start if need be.  

Derek Costelloe

Hi all,

I have noted that when we use 'reset learner progress', quiz scores will be saved but I'm wondering what effect using this option will have on LMS course completion records. We have a course that doesn't rely on quiz completion, only on course progress. If I reset learner progress, will that reset their LMS course completion record too?  We have over 1000 completions of a Rise course on our LMS, if I upload an updated version of the course with 'Reset Learner Progress' enabled, will our LMS retain all of these completion records or will they be reset too? 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Derek, 

If you upload a new version of an existing Rise 360 course to your LMS, then this shouldn't affect the historical data that's already available in your LMS reporting. Just be sure you're uploading a new version of an existing course, since uploading as a new course will most likely reset the reporting data. 

Here's what uploading a new version of a course looks like in our LMS: