Scenario blocks and screen readers

Aug 11, 2022

Hello all. Checking the VPAT to see which blocks are accessible in Rise, Scenario blocks appear to be accessible.

However, when testing with JAWS screen reader, I have found that the focus order is not managed and screen reader users are more than likely going to miss content in the scenario as they would need to navigate back up the screen in order to find the new content.  My experience was that I would by-pass the scenario content after the first piece of dynamic text appears on the scenario. My SR wouldn't be aware of it, and I'd just continue down the page to the next panel/block.

Can anyone from Articulate confirm they are aware of this issue. Was it accessible at some point and a bug has been recently introduced?

11 Replies
Sam Hill

Hi Jeanne, in my experience, it is not accessible as the screen reader focus does not always move to the new content on screen, sometimes missing it and moving to the block below the scenario. I have still have my case open but hadn't had any update for a while. I would avoid it for now.

Sam Hill

Hello Joe, any update on this? I haven't seen a fix rolled out for this yet. Tested today and still having the issue. This is a significant issue for us and it's been 3 months since the issue was reported and there have been several updated rolled out since. It looks like bugs don't get the priority they should, as I've seen plenty of other enhancements to accessibility rolled out in the time being: Case #03336040.

Sam Hill

Thanks for the response Crystal.

I noticed on the article it doesn't mention the current focus order issue though. It would be great to see that on there so people are aware that is a wider, more serious issue with the scenarios, and it's not just related to image ALT text.

I thought this one might get a bit more attention as it is currently documented as accessible, but is unusable in projects that require screen reader accessibility.

Three months is too long to wait for a bug patch, for something that impacts accessibility so significantly.