Storyline 360 Blocks not appearing as they should in Rise 360

Feb 14, 2019

Hi there,

I am creating a learning piece for our website that uses Storyline 360 blocks which contain videos. When added to my Rise piece, they are displayed as per the attached screenshot, as a block of black with a white title and white play button, when viewed in Chrome. Clicking on the Play button then shows the front slide of the Storyline block, which is in keeping with our brand and learning pieces. This does not seem to happen to any Storyline 360 blocks that do not contain videos. A link to my preview is here https://rise.articulate.com/author/PQeyF3ZHJy01OBKQYvveNILtksRO7Efm#/author/details/2CWA0JWJ9Ulc0LN2oqKJxEdf65sS58zx/preview

Any help would be very much appreciated as it is driving me mad!

13 Replies
Patricia de Souza

I have had the same thing happen (with a Storyline block containing a video), however when uploaded to our LMS the block played without issue....... excpet for the last e-learning I created using the same block, which when the SCORM file is uploaded to our LMS, this block keeps buffering and no content is displayed  - any idea what is going on here?!

Allison LaMotte

Hi Patricia,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with this. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to know what's going on without having a look at your course. But not to worry! Our Support team can help you resolve this issue. You can contact them here.

Please reach out if I can help with anything else. 

Sue Kim

I'm having a similar issue with a Storyline block within a Rise lesson. The SL block is a single slide drag and drop interaction (no video). When I preview it I see the slide. However, my learners see a black box with a play button first, which they presume will play a video. Once they click play, the slide appears and all is well. Not a huge issue for me, but wondering if there's a way to eliminate the black box and the need to click "play" first. Has Support been able to help others with the same issue?

LaRhonda Jefferson

I'm recently having this problem. This has occurred since the last 2 updates.  I have Rise courses I designed last year and all of sudden the all the Storyline block are Black with the play button.  I really need a resolution because my user audience is not going to be happy with this. 

Tina Stone

Hi all,

It transpires that this is due to Google changing the way Chrome accepts autoplay videos - they no longer do! Although my media was not in the main layer, the fact that it was in a layer of the first slide resulted in the black box. I had to place a 'Start' slide to my block, which triggered the appearance of slide 2 where I placed my media. This completely resolved the issue. The answer came courtesy of Articulate Support who were most helpful!

Tina Stone

Hi LaRhonda,

I have posted in the thread, but wanted to reply so hopefully you get the notification more quickly;

"Hi all,

It transpires that this is due to Google changing the way Chrome accepts autoplay videos - they no longer do! Although my media was not in the main layer, the fact that it was in a layer of the first slide resulted in the black box. I had to place a 'Start' slide to my block, which triggered the appearance of slide 2 where I placed my media. This completely resolved the issue. The answer came courtesy of Articulate Support who were most helpful!"

Fortunately it is not actually an Articulate issue but rather a browser issue. I simply popped a title and 'play' button on the front of my block which then triggered to the next slide in the block where I placed my video that started with the slide timeline. 

Hope this helps you, and does not create too much work for you to resolve it, but it will have to be something you change rather than an Articulate fix. :)

Tina Stone

Hi, this is actually a browser issue and appears when there is media that starts with the timeline of the first slide in the block. I popped a 'start' slide on the front and placed media on slide 2 and all works perfectly. Presumably the browsers (I found the issue more with Chrome) are trying to stop illicit material automatically playing so that inappropriate audiences do not accidentally see something that they do not wish to!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included some new features and a few important fixes you'll see in the release notes.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Make an impactful first impression. Add an image to your course start page to brand it or give learners an idea of the subject matter. Learn more about cover photos.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.