Articulate Online is our hosted tracking and reporting system for e-learning content. We’ve made it easy to publish and upload your course to Articulate Online all at once.
- Enter Title and Description
- Enter Additional Project Info for the Articulate Mobile Player
- Choose Your Publish Formats
- Adjust the Player Properties and Quality Settings
- Choose to Publish a Slide, a Scene, or the Entire Course
- Choose Your Reporting and Tracking Options
- Distribute Your Published Course
- Go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Publish.
- When the Publish window appears, select the Articulate Online tab on the left.
- Enter the Title the way you want it to appear in your published output. It defaults to the name of your project file. (Changing the title won't affect the name of your project file.)
- Use the Description field to give learners a synopsis of your course. The description will appear in the Articulate Online user portal and on information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player.
If learners use mobile devices with the free Articulate Mobile Player app, you can display additional project information in the published course, such as the author, duration, and version number. Click the ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field to open the Project Info window.
- The Title and Description fields are the same as those on the Publish window (see the previous step).
- The image below the Title field will be the course thumbnail in the Articulate Mobile Player library. By default, Storyline uses an image of the first slide in your course, but you can choose a different image. Just click the hyperlinked text below the image, then select a different slide or click Picture from File to choose an image on your hard drive.
- Author, Email, Website, Duration, Date, and Version appear on the content information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
- The Identifier applies only to content published for LMS.
- Keywords aren't currently used. They'll be used in a future version of the Articulate Mobile Player.
When you're finished customizing the project information, click OK to return to the Publish window.
In Storyline 360, you can choose which formats are included in your published output—HTML5, Flash, and/or Articulate Mobile Player.
- Click the Formats property on the Publish window to open this Publish Formats dialog.
- Use the Publish As slider to choose one of these options:
- HTML5: This publishes your course as HTML5 output only.
- HTML5/Flash: This publishes your course as HTML5 first with Flash fallback. Learners will see HTML5 output if they’re using a supported HTML5 browser. If not, they’ll see Flash output.
- Flash/HTML5: This publishes your course as Flash first with HTML5 fallback. Learners will see Flash output if they’re using a Flash-enabled browser. If not, they’ll see HTML5 output.
- Flash: This publishes your course as Flash output only.
- If you choose one of the publish formats above that includes Flash output, you’ll also have the option to include Articulate Mobile Player output. Just mark the box to Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS and Android.
Articulate Mobile Player output is the default view for learners with iPads and Android devices.
The accompanying option to Allow downloading for offline viewing is currently ignored for Articulate Online content, since learners must be online for content to communicate with Articulate Online.
- Click OK to save your selections and return to the Publish window.
Use the Properties section of the Publish window to make last-minute changes to your course player and quality settings.
- The Player property shows the name of the player currently assigned to your project. (The player is the interface learners see around the perimeter of your course.) To make adjustments to your player, click the player name to open the player editor.
- The Quality property lets you control the compression settings for audio clips, videos, and pictures. The quality settings default to whatever you used the last time you published a course. To change them, click the Quality property, make your adjustments, and click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings: optimal video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 56 kbps, and image quality of 80%.
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings. Drag the slider for any of the three values to change the compression. Higher values give you higher-quality output but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower as well.
Tip: Image compression only applies to JPG files.
- Mark the Optimize Audio Volume box to normalize audio throughout your course for consistent volume across all slides.
Tip: If your course audio already has consistent volume, you can speed up the publishing process by unchecking this option.
By default, Storyline will publish your entire course. However, you can now choose to publish a specific scene from your course or even just a single slide. This is helpful when you want to publish multiple courses from the same project file.
Just click the Publish property, then choose the entire project, a single scene, or a single slide.
Click the Tracking property to open the following window, where you can choose how Articulate Online tracks and reports learners' progress.
- Use the Report status to AO as drop-down to choose the wording that Articulate Online should display for learners' statuses in reports.
- Use the Communicate resume data drop-down to choose how Articulate Online handles resume data if you've enabled the resume feature in your player. Choose either of the following:
- On Course Complete: This communicates resume data when the learner closes his browser window or when he reaches the completion threshold (see step 3 below).
- After Every Slide: This sends resume data when the learner advances to each slide in the course. An added benefit of this method is that learners who experience an internet disruption will still be able to pick up where they left off without losing their progress. Keep in mind that because this option results in frequent communication between learners and Articulate Online, it increases network traffic, which can be significant if you roll out your course to many learners at the same time.
- In the Tracking section of the window, choose one of the following options:
- Track using number of slides viewed: Mark this option to trigger course completion when learners view a specific number of slides.
- Track using quiz result: Mark this option to track learners based on their quiz results. If your course has multiple quizzes, choose the one you want to track. (This option is grayed-out if your course doesn’t have any result slides.)
- Click OK to save your changes.
To complete the process, enter your Articulate Online credentials (account URL, email address, and password) and click the Publish button.
Your content gets published and uploaded to Articulate Online all at once. How fast this happens depends on the size of your course and your internet speed.
When the Publish Successful window appears, click Manage Content to open Articulate Online and manage the course you just uploaded.
Tip: If a corporate firewall prohibits you from publishing automatically to Articulate Online, you can publish your course locally, then manually upload it to Articulate Online. To learn how to publish for manual upload to Articulate Online, see this user guide.
When you give learners access to your Articulate Online course, they'll see the right format (HTML5, Flash, or Articulate Mobile Player) based on the devices and browsers they’re using and the publish formats you included.