Articulate Engage makes it easy to deploy your content to learners who use mobile devices that don't support Flash. (If you need to incorporate your interaction into an Articulate Presenter course first, click here.)
Publishing Interactions for Mobile Devices
If you choose Web, Articulate Online, or LMS when publishing your Engage content, you'll see some mobile options on the Publish window. Mark Include HTML5 output to let learners view content on mobile devices that don't support Flash. Mark Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android to let learners view content in the Articulate Mobile Player, a free app that gives learners the best viewing experience on iPads and Android devices.
Below, we answer some common questions developers ask about publishing for mobile devices. If you need step-by-step guidance on publishing, read our tutorials on publishing for Web, Articulate Online, or LMS.
If I Publish for Mobile Devices, Will My Interaction Look and Behave Like It Does in Flash?
While many of the features in your interaction will look and behave the same, some may not. See this article to find out how mobile deployment may impact your interaction.
After I Publish, How Do Learners View My Interaction?
After you publish from Engage and upload your content to a web server, give learners a link to the interaction.html file. They’ll see the right format for the browser and device they’re using. See this article for details on how this happens.
Do Learners Need to Be Connected to the Internet to View My Interaction?
Initially, learners must be connected to the Internet to view your interaction on iPads and Android devices. However, you can let learners download it for offline viewing once they've added it to their Articulate Mobile Player library. See this tutorial for instructions.
If you need tracking and reporting capabilities, your learners will need to be connected to the Internet when they view your interaction. Otherwise, it won’t be able to communicate data to your LMS.
How Do Learners Remove an Interaction from Their Articulate Mobile Player Library?
Long-press any item in your library until an X icon appears in the upper left corner of each course thumbnail, then tap the X icon for each item you want to remove. When you're finished deleting content items, tap anywhere on the screen to hide the X icons.
How Can I Publish Content So It'll Work on an iPhone?
Include HTML5 output when publishing, so learners can use mobile Safari on their iPhones to view content. For more information, see this article.
Which Publishing Option Should I Choose for Android Devices?
Mark the publishing option to Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android. When learners launch your course, it'll open in the Articulate Mobile Player app. If they don't have the app, they'll be prompted to install it. (HTML5 output isn't currently supported on Android devices.)
How Can I Track and Report on Mobile Learners' Progress?
To track learners who view your iPad or HTML5 content, do any one of the following:
- Deploy your interaction from Articulate Online: Articulate Online fully supports tracking learners who view your interaction with the Articulate Mobile Player app. When you publish, choose Articulate Online as your publishing option and mark the box to Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android. Find out more about publishing to Articulate Online here.
- Deploy your interaction from an LMS which supports Tin Can API: Tin Can API is a communication standard that lets learning management systems (LMSs) receive tracking data from mobile apps. When you publish, choose LMS as your publishing option and mark the box to Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android. (If your LMS provider doesn’t support Tin Can API, we recommend that you urge them to do so.) Find out more about publishing for LMS here.
- Deploy your interaction as HTML5 content and have learners access it from your LMS with a browser that supports HTML5: This is a good option if you’re using an LMS that doesn't support Tin Can API. When you publish, choose LMS as your publishing option and mark the box to Include HTML5 output. Find out more about publishing for LMS here.
For more information, see:
- Viewing and Tracking Articulate Engage Content in an LMS
- Viewing and Tracking Articulate Engage Content in Articulate Online
I Don't Need to Track Results. Can I Still Use the Articulate Mobile Player If My LMS Doesn't Support Tin Can API?
It depends. If your LMS doesn’t require a login, learners might be able to use the Articulate Mobile Player app. You'll need to test your published output in your LMS environment if you plan to allow viewing in the Articulate Mobile Player app.