Articulate Presenter lets you choose exactly which options and controls are included on your course player. To customize your player, go to the Articulate tab on the PowerPoint ribbon and click Player.
When the Player Properties window appears, the Features button will already be selected, and you can begin choosing your options. As you make changes to the options on the left side of the window, keep an eye on the Preview area on the right side of the window. It'll change to reflect your choices.
Choosing Player Tabs
Player tabs allow you to offer additional content to supplement your course. The player tabs appear along the top edge of the player in your published output—either in the sidebar or on the left or right topbar above your slide content.
In the Player Tabs section, mark the box next to the tabs you want to include in your course. Presenter provides the five ready-made tabs listed below.
- Exit: Mark this box if you want to provide a quick link for exiting the course and closing the browser window. (This tab can only appear on the topbar; it can't be moved to the sidebar.) If you choose not to include the Exit tab, learners can still exit the course at any time by simply closing the browser window.
- Resources: Mark this box if you want to provide learners with resources related to your course. You can include file attachments, links to websites, or a combination of both. (Learn how to add resources to the player.)
- Menu: Mark this box if you want to display a menu of the slide titles in your course. (Learn how to customize the menu.)
- Glossary: Mark this box if you want to include a glossary in your course player. (Learn how to add terms to the glossary.)
- Notes: Mark this box if you want learners to be able to view slide notes in your player. (Learn how to add notes.)
In addition to the built-in tabs described above, you can also add quizzes and interactions to player tabs. Click here for details.
Rearranging Player Tabs
You can position player tabs in three different areas of the player:
- Topbar Left
- Topbar Right
Multiple tabs can be located in each area of the player. To move a tab from one location to another:
- Select a tab name in the Player Tabs area of the window. (Tip: You can rearrange the built-in tabs described in the section above as well as quizzes and interactions that you've added to player tabs.)
- Then use the Up and Down arrows to move the selected tab to a different location on the player.
Working with the Course Title and Sidebar
In the Features area of the Player Properties window, you can turn the course title on or off, and you can choose where to put the sidebar (if you're using one).
- Title: Mark this box if you want the course title to appear in the top left of your player. The title defaults to the name of your PowerPoint file, but you can use a different title by editing the text in the field provided. (If you change the title, it won't change the name of your actual PowerPoint file; it'll only change the title that displays on the player.) If you'd prefer not to display a title on your player, uncheck the Title box.
- Sidebar: A sidebar will appear in your published course if you've chosen to include any player tabs in the sidebar, if you've added a logo (see below), or if you've enabled the presenter panel (see below). By default, the sidebar appears on the left side of your player, but you can move it to the right side of your player if you prefer. Use the Sidebar drop-down to make your selection.
Tip: If you'd prefer not to have a sidebar in your course, turn off all player tabs (or move them to the topbar), disable the logo, and disable the presenter panel.
Choosing a Logo
Also in the Features area of the window is an option to add a logo to your course player. When enabled, the logo will appear at the top of the sidebar. To add a logo:
- Mark the Logo box.
- Then use the Click to add a logo link to browse to the image you want.
For the best results, use an image that has a maximum width of 200 pixels and a maximum height of 220 pixels. If your image doesn't fit within these dimensions, Presenter will scale it to fit.
If you add a logo to your player but later decide that you want to use a different image, click the blue hyperlinked text and browse to the image you want to use. If you change your mind about having a logo, just uncheck the Logo box to disable it.
Enabling the Presenter Panel
The presenter panel is an area of the sidebar that appears between the logo and the player tabs. It can display a biography and contact information for the course presenter as well as a video. And since the presenter panel contains slide-specific information, you can display a different presenter bio and/or video in the sidebar for each slide in your course—or even omit them altogether for some slides.
To enable the presenter panel in the sidebar of your player, mark the Presenter box in the Features area of the window.
Enabling the presenter panel doesn't actually display anything in the sidebar until you add slide-specific information to the slides in your course. To learn more about adding content to the presenter panel, take a look at these tutorials:
- Adding a Presenter Panel Video
- Managing Presenters
- Managing Slide Properties (if you want to assign different presenters to each slide)
- Previewing and Publishing a Presentation (if you want to assign a single presenter to the entire course)
Tip: The presenter panel won't display in the sidebar for slides that don't have an assigned presenter or an embedded video.
Displaying Elapsed and Total Time in the Player
To give learners a visual indicator of the total duration of a course and how much time has elapsed, mark the Elapsed and total time box in the Features area of the window. It'll appear on the top bar of your course player next to the title (if you've enabled the title).
Choosing Player Controls
The Controls area of the window is where you choose which player controls will display in your published course. Here are your options:
- Volume: Mark this box to display a volume controller. It'll appear on your player below the lower left corner of your slide content.
- Search: Mark this box to include a search field on the Menu tab of your player. Learners can use this to search for text within slide contents or slide notes. Keep in mind that because the Search field is part of the Menu tab, it'll only appear in your published course if you've marked Menu in the Player Tabs area at the top of the window.
- Seekbar: Mark this box to include a seekbar on your player, letting learners scrub back and forth through slides.
- Play/Pause: Mark this box to include a play/pause toggle button at the bottom of your player.
Displaying Different Tabs and Controls for Different Slides
By default, tabs and player controls that you've enabled will display for all slides in your course. But if you want to hide them when learners view certain slides, you can do that. To learn how, see this tutorial.
What About Prev and Next Buttons?
You might've noticed that the Controls listed on the Player Properties window don't include slide navigation controls, such as Prev (previous) and Next buttons. That's because you can customize these for individual slides in the Slide Properties manager. Click here to learn how.
Saving Your Changes to the Player
If you click OK on the Player Properties window and save your presentation, Presenter saves your player customizations within your project file. It's a good practice, though, to save your player separately, because this allows you to apply the same player customizations to other courses.
To save your player, click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Save. Enter a name for the player if you're prompted, and click OK.
For more details about using the Current Player options, see Saving Your Player or Switching to a Different One.