Articulate Quizmaker's Size and Position window lets you control an object’s height, width, rotation, scale, crop, and location. It's also where you enter alternative text (often called alt text) for objects. Alt text is important for learners with visual impairments who rely on screen readers.
To access the Size and Position window, do any of the following:
- Select an object, go to the Format tab, and click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Size group.
- Right-click an object, and chose Size and Position.
- Select an object, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
When the Size and Position window appears, click the tabs along the left edge to set your options.
- Height and Width: Use these fields to specify the height and width of the object (in pixels). If the Lock aspect ratio box (in the middle of the window) is marked, Quizmaker will automatically change the width when you change the height—and vice versa—to maintain the object’s proportions. (Tip: Another way to quickly change an object’s size is to select the object, go to the Format tab on the Quizmaker ribbon, and enter values in the Height and Width fields.)
- Rotation: Use this field to enter a rotation value (in degrees). A positive number rotates the object clockwise; a negative number rotates it counterclockwise. (Tip: Another way to rotate an object is to select the object and drag its green rotation handle.)
- Scale Height and Scale Width: Use these fields to adjust the size of the object using percentages (of the original size). If the Lock aspect ratio box is marked, Quizmaker will automatically change the scale width when you change the scale height—and vice versa—to maintain the object’s proportions. (Tip: If you'd prefer to resize the object using pixels rather than percentages, use the Height and Width fields at the top of the window.)
- Lock aspect ratio: Mark this box to maintain the object’s proportions when you resize it. (Tip: It's enabled by default for pictures, screenshots, characters, videos, and Flash files.)
- Crop from Left, Right, Top, and Bottom: Use these fields to crop the object by a specific number of pixels. The cropping options are only available for pictures, screenshots, and characters. (Tip: Another way to crop is to select the object, go to the Format tab on the Quizmaker ribbon, and click Crop. Then drag the black cropping handles that appear on the edges of the object.)
- Reset: Click this button to reset the object to its original size. This option is only available for pictures, screenshots, characters, videos, and Flash files.
Although it's easy to move an object on your slide by dragging it, sometimes you might want more control over its exact position. The Position tab lets you specify exactly where the object should appear. Use the Horizontal and Vertical fields to enter a pixel value, and then use the From selectors to indicate the relative location.
The Alt Text tab is where you set accessibility options that affect screen readers and keyboard navigation.
When a learner uses a screen reader or presses the Tab key to navigate through the items in your quiz, the content is read from the top left of the player to the bottom right. By default, screen readers announce each object on the slide according to its name on the Quizmaker timeline. Here are two ways to modify this behavior:
- Object is visible to accessibility tools: This box is marked, by default, for all objects in your quiz. Uncheck it if you'd prefer that the selected object not be detected by screen readers and keyboard navigation. For example, if you have objects on the slide that don't contribute to the content's meaning, such as aesthetic elements (rectangles, lines, etc.), it's a good idea to uncheck this box for those objects.
- Alternative text: If you'd like screen readers to use a name or description that's different from what appears in Quizmaker's timeline, enter that alternate text here.