Articulate Storyline lets you bake additional content into your course via the Resources tab on the player. It's a great way to give learners access to reference materials, job aids, and other helpful information. Another common use for this feature is to give learners a printable copy of the course slides or transcript. (In order for the Resources tab to show in your course, it needs to be enabled in your player. Learn more about that here.)
To add resources to your course, go to the Home tab on the ribbon and click Player:
When the Player Properties window appears, click Resources on the ribbon.
Entering a Description for the Resources Tab
In the Description field, enter the text you want learners to see at the top of the resources list in your published course:
Here's how to add resources to your player:
- Click the Add button (the icon that looks like a blank piece of paper) at the bottom of the Resources window.
- When the Add Resource window appears, enter a Title for the resource. This is the text learners will see when they browse your list of resources.
- Select either URL or File, depending on the kind of resource you're adding, then do the following:
- If you're adding a URL, enter the web address in the field provided. You can also click the Test button to make sure it opens in your browser as you expect. When you publish the course, learners will be able to click the resource name to access the web content. (They'll need to be connected to the Internet for it to work.)
- If you're adding a file, click Browse. Select the file you want to attach and click Save. When you publish, Storyline will bundle a copy of the file along with your course. (It'll be located in the story_content folder of your published output.) Learners will need to have the appropriate software to view the file. For example, if the resource is a Word document, they'll need Microsoft Word to open it.
- Click Save.
Storyline adds the item to your resource list. There will be an icon next to the title to indicate the type of resource.
Editing, Rearranging, and Deleting Resources
Use the buttons at the bottom of the Resources window to edit, delete, and rearrange resources.
Reusing the Same Resources in Other Storyline Projects
When you add resources to a course, they're saved in the project, not in the player. As a result, saving your player and applying it to another Storyline project doesn't carry over your resources.
If you want to reuse the same resources in another project, we recommend saving the original project as a Storyline template. When you're ready to begin a new project, use the template as your starting point by clicking Import from story template on the Storyline launch screen.
Tip: If you add, delete, or change resources in a Storyline template, those changes won't automatically carry over to existing projects based on that template. You'll need to make the same changes in existing projects manually.
Showing or Hiding the Resources Tab on a Slide-by-Slide Basis
By default, built-in player tabs—like Resources—display for all slides in your course. If you want to hide them for certain slides, see Adjusting Slide Properties.
Changing the Name of the Resources Tab
Want to change the title of the Resources tab? Easy! The name comes from your player's text labels. If you need help editing text labels, see this tutorial.