The Resume feature in Articulate Storyline controls how learners will experience your course if it's viewed more than once. You can customize resume behavior so that learners:
- Start the course fresh every time
- Start where they left off the last time they visited the course
- Choose (via a prompt) whether to start over or resume where they left off
Choosing Your Resume Options
To customize the resume behavior, you'll need to open the Player Properties window (resume behavior is part of the player). Go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Player.
When the Player Properties window appears, click Other on the ribbon.
In the Resume section of the window, choose one of the following options from the On restart drop-down:
- Prompt to resume: If learners previously viewed more than one slide of the course, this option causes the course to display a prompt, asking learners if they want to pick up where they left off. The prompt will look something like this:
- Always resume: This causes your course to open at the place where learners left off. They won't see a prompt; the resume just happens automatically.
- Never resume: This causes your course to always open at the beginning, even if learners completed part of the course previously. They won't see a prompt.
If you choose Prompt to resume or Always resume, and if you'll be hosting your content in an LMS, do one of the following:
- If your LMS supports bookmarking, mark the box labeled When running in LMS, ignore Flash cookie. The LMS will control resume behavior in this scenario.
- If your LMS doesn't support bookmarking, uncheck When running in LMS, ignore Flash cookie. A Flash cookie on learners' computers will control resume behavior in this scenario.
Changing the Wording on the Resume Prompt
If you've enabled a resume prompt, you can customize what it says. The text comes from your player's text labels. If you need help editing the text labels, see this tutorial.
Saving Player Changes
When you click OK to close the Player Properties window, Storyline saves your player customizations in your project file. However, if you'd like to use the same customizations in other projects, click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Save. Enter a name for the player if you're prompted and click OK.
To learn more about the Current Player options, see Saving Your Player or Switching to a Different One.