Create a Custom Table of Contents Menu for E-Learning Courses #357

Creating Custom Menus in E-Learning #358: Challenge | Recap

Create a Custom Table of Contents to Help Learners Navigate Through the Course

Today’s authoring tools make it easier than ever to customize how the menu looks and where it’s placed in the course player. But there will be times when designers want to move beyond the default menu options and design their own course menu. 

While DIY menus take longer to design and implement, they’re worth the time if they help learners get more from their training. And that’s what this week’s challenge is all about.

Moving Beyond the Default Player Menu

Storyline’s menu options on the Player Properties window allow you to control how the player menu appears in your published course. This is a classic table of contents–style menu that provides all the functionality most courses need.

Moving Beyond the Default Player Menu

Using a Table of Contents Style Menu

When you want even more control over your menu design’s fonts, colors, graphics, bookmarking, and types of menu information, you’ll need to create everything yourself. The good news is: tools like Storyline make this really easy!

Using a Table of Contents Style Menu

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an example of a custom table of contents menu. You don’t need to build out a real project this week. Use placeholder slides and content to allow more time for your custom table of contents menu.

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you visualize custom menu ideas, check out the creative ways course designers use interactive graphs and charts from last week's e-learning challenge:

26 Examples Show How Designers Use Interactive Graphs and Charts in E-Learning #357

Interactive Chart and Graph Examples RECAP #357: Challenge | Recap

208 Comments
Jodi M. Sansone

Hipster Table of Contents Demo: https://jodisdemos.s3.amazonaws.com/358+Table+of+Contents/story.html Download: https://jodisdemos.s3.amazonaws.com/358+Table+of+Contents+Starter.story Number Art Download: https://jodisdemos.s3.amazonaws.com/358+Number+Tabs.ai In my mind if a TOC is important it should be available all the time for free roaming--you shouldn't have to search for it. I like the TOC in the modern player and usually include it in the top right tab where it can be dropped down on demand. For this demo I tried something different. I created a custom TOC that is visible on every slide. If you want to use the file make sure you look at the slide master--all the navigation is there. You can change all the icons and copy on the TOC, and you can swap out the hipster art and h... Expand

Chris Hodgson
Jordan Peel
Samara Reyneke
Ron Katz
Karole Dawson
Ron Katz
Anuradha Gopu
Jonatan Ben-Ami
Ron Katz
Jonatan Ben-Ami
Steve Morey
Heather Barlow