How are Course Designers Creating Online Cooking Classes? #305

Interactive Cooking Recipes and Techniques #305: Challenge | Recap

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to build an interaction to teach learners how to cook a simple meal. You can create a simple step graphic, video presentation, explainer video, animated slideshow, or any other combination of techniques from previous e-learning challenges

Here are some suggested topics to help you get started:

• How to make and cook pasta
  • Knife skills
  • Beginner’s guide to cooking fundamentals
  • Grilling basics
  • Essential cooking skills
  • Quick and easy recipes

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you serve up this week’s challenge, check out the practical things course designers should know about accessibility in e-learning:

15 Interactive Tips and Examples for Designing Accessible E-Learning #304

Designing Accessible E-Learning RECAP #304: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

142 Comments
Laura McDonnell
David Anderson
Brandy Gravely
Roula AL
Noah Mitchell
Noah Mitchell

Hi, Billi! Thanks for taking the time to check it. There's more I wanted to do, but things go a little complex since i did this all on the base layer essentially. I should have split it up into layers. Oh well! The fire, actually, is a trick I learned from Jonathan Hill's project for this same ELH Challenge. It's a transparent GIF that I got from GIPHY. I credit the author for the GIF and the music at the very beginning of the interaction. So, GIFs can be added to Storyline files; it's as simple as importing a picture file and the animation will still work. Just be cautious: too large a file/GIF can really bog down your slides and up the load time for it. Still, it makes for some very fun ideas! The fire crackling sound you hear, btw, is me recording myself crushing a plastic ... Expand

Noah Mitchell

Just stumbled upon this, Anu. I think for your first submission, you did a good job. Some of the transitions are weird, but that might be because you've set them to actually navigate to new slides, instead of utilizing layers on the same slide, and it seems that those slides have a fade effect applied to them. That's not always a bad thing, but it adds some lag on a couple of things when I was clicking. Also, look out for the alignment of those text box titles that you have overlaying each picture. Additionally, I noticed that when I hover over the text box, it doesn't allow me to click on that picture; you specifically have to select the picture. To remedy this, you could simply create a transparent box for each picture that covers each picture+title box combination. Essentially, then, yo... Expand