The Motor of the E-learning World?
Designing compliance training that engages learners while adhering to regulatory standards can be daunting for even the most skilled designer. Sprinkle in time constraints and resource limitations, and it's easy to see why compliance courses get a bad rap in our industry.
Admittedly, I like designing compliance training. I got my start in e-learning building compliance courses. I worked on the custom side at the time, so everything we designed had a unique look and feel, emphasizing creative interactions. Example? See challenge #136 for one of the early projects I worked on.
Whether you love or hate it, compliance training is the motor of the e-learning world. As course designers, it's our job to find ways to make this boring content fun and engaging for our learners. And that's what this week's e-learning challenge is all about!
Challenge of the Week
This week, your challenge is to share a short compliance example or interaction. You can create a single-slide interaction or build something more complete around a common compliance topic or category.
Compliance Topics and Ideas
As always, you have the freedom to approach this week's topic any way you like.
Remember, you don't need to build an entire course or module. A scenario, interaction, or simple content slides is all we're looking for this week.
However, if you're looking for ideas or ways to get started, consider doing something on one of the following topics:
- Workplace Health and Safety. Topic ideas: ergonomics, emergency preparedness, and hazard communication.
- Data Privacy and Security. Topic ideas: protecting sensitive personal and business information and adhering to data protection regulations such as GDPR and HIPAA.
- Anti-Money Laundering (AML). Topic ideas: identifying and preventing money laundering and financing of terrorism, including compliance with relevant regulations and reporting suspicious activities.
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption. Topic ideas: understanding and preventing bribery, corruption, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA.
- Sexual Harassment and Discrimination. Topic ideas: recognizing, preventing, and addressing sexual harassment and other forms of discrimination in the workplace.
- Ethics and Code of Conduct. Topic ideas: conflict of interest, insider trading, and fair competition.
- Environmental Compliance. Topic ideas: environmental laws and regulations, waste management, emissions, and pollution.
- Export Compliance. Topic ideas: adhering to export control laws and regulations, export classifications, licensing, and restricted parties.
- Accessibility and Disability Rights. Topic ideas: providing equal access and opportunities for people with disabilities in accordance with laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Employment Law and Labor Regulations. Topic ideas: wage and hour regulations, family and medical leave, and worker's compensation.
Here are a few community articles that might spark some creative ideas or ways to approach this week's challenge:
- 5 Tips for Jazzing Up Compliance Training
- Create Compliance Training Like a Pro with Rise 360
- What Is 508 Compliance for E-Learning and How Can You Achieve It?
- 5 Training Examples to Inspire Your Next Compliance Course
Share Your E-Learning Work
- Comments: Use the comments section below to link your published example and blog post.
- Forums: Start a new thread and share a link to your published example.
- Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We'll link to your posts so your great work gets even more exposure.
- Social media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can follow your e-learning coolness.
Last Week’s Challenge:
To help you comply with this week’s challenge, I’ve rounded up some fantastic slider examples your fellow community members shared over the past week:
New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.
Next Week’s Challenge & Webinar
I'm hosting a webinar next week on using audio in Storyline 360. I'll reference this week's challenge in the session and share your examples in the session.
- Next week's challenge #413 (April 14): Using Lightbox Slides in E-Learning #413
- Upcoming webinar (April 11): Using Lightbox Slides in Storyline 360
Got an idea for a challenge? Are you interested in doing a webinar showcasing how you made one or more challenge demos? Or do you have some comments for your humble challenge host? Use this anonymous form to share your feedback: https://bit.ly/ElearningChallengeForm.