Using Drop-Down Menus in E-Learning #328
Drop-Down Menus in E-Learning #328: Challenge | Recap
Drop-down menus are a great way to consolidate navigational elements when slide space is limited. They come in all shapes, sizes, and design styles. But drop-down menus aren’t just for slide navigation. They’re an excellent addition to any e-learning toolkit. Some common uses include:
- Slide navigation: Jump to another layer, slide, or scene using the menu’s sub-navigation links.
- Personalization: Choose from a list of options that personalize the course material for the learner.
- Quizzes: Select the correct choice, item, or phrase from a drop-down list of choices for vocabulary, language, and grammar interactions.
- Resources: Provide learners with slide-specific handouts, documents, job aids, and more.
To help kick off this week’s challenge, take a look at some creative drop-down menu examples course designers have shared in the community.
View project | Learn more | Aman Vohra | Website
View project | Learn more & download | Veronica Budnikas | @verobudnikas
View project | David Tait | Website | @4ptLtd
Challenge of the Week
This week, your challenge is to share an example of a drop-down, fly-out, or pop-up menu effect in e-learning.
If you’re new to course development, try using the shared source files to help you get started. Don’t worry about how your menu looks as much as creating a functional example.
For those course designers with a little more experience, think about sharing an example that demonstrates creative ways drop-down menus can be used in real-world projects.
Share Your E-Learning Work
- Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
- Forums: Start your own thread and share a link to your published example.
- Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
- Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.
Last Week’s Challenge:
To help you navigate this week's challenge, check out the interactive slideshows and image galleries your fellow challengers shared over the past week:
Image Sliders and Photo Galleries #327: Challenge | Recap
New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.