Using Interactive Dials as Draggable Menus in E-Learning #355
Using Interactive Dials for Navigation #355: Challenge | Recap
Interactive knobs and dials are a great way to simulate real-world objects and tasks in your e-learning courses. To see how course designers use interactive dials, check out the examples in this challenge recap.
But what happens when the dial uses a custom graphic or image and is scaled well beyond the slide size? Let’s take a look at a couple of examples.
Dials as Draggable Menus
In this example, the dial is filled with a custom image and scaled well beyond the slide size. This creates an exciting approach to menu navigation.
View the project | Joanna Kurpiewska
Dials as Draggable Timeline Interactions
Here’s another example using similar techniques. In this case, the custom dial is a circular timeline interaction that lets learners drag through a series of dates.
View the example | Eric Chamberlin
Challenge of the Week
This week, your challenge is to share an example that shows how custom dials can be used for draggable navigation.
You can learn more about working with Storyline’s dials in the following articles and webinars.
- Storyline 360: Working with Dials
- How I Designed This Interactive Dial Matrix
- Using Dials to Design Interactive Infographics #261
- Webinar: Using Dials in Storyline 360
Share Your E-Learning Work
- Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
- Forums: Start your own thread and share a link to your published example..
- Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
- Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.
Last Week’s Challenge:
Before you dial into this week’s challenge, check out the colorful ways designers are using Pantone’s 2022 color of the year in e-learning:
Pantone's 2022 Color of the Year RECAP #354: Challenge | Recap
New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.
Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article.