We’re Shutting Down Our Articulate Online Product Offering (updated 10/29/2020)

Oct 15, 2020

We’ve reached the difficult decision to shut down our Articulate Online product (our legacy learning management system launched in 2007) at the end of next year — effective December 31, 2021. It was a hard call for us to make, but we firmly believe the time has come to focus our resources on the products that provide the most long-term value to our customers.

This decision won’t affect Articulate 360 at all. We’ll continue to add features, content, and training to make sure that Articulate 360 has everything you need to create e-learning.

Here’s a quick rundown of what you can expect as we prepare for the shut down of the Articulate Online LMS:

• Effective immediately, we’re no longer selling new Articulate Online LMS subscriptions nor allowing upgrades or downgrades to existing ones.
  • Starting on December 1, 2020, if you’re on an annual subscription, we’ll migrate you to a monthly renewal cycle, so you have the flexibility to move off of Articulate Online as soon as you’re ready. If you have any billing-related questions, please contact our billing department at ao@articulate.com.
  • Any content you’re currently hosting on Articulate Online will no longer be accessible after the end-of-life date of December 31, 2021.

Although the end of the Articulate Online learning management system is more than a year away, we wanted to give you plenty of time to prepare. To get you started, we’ve pulled together this article full of information on how to republish the content you’re currently hosting in Articulate Online so that you can host it in another learning management system.

We sincerely appreciate you choosing Articulate Online as the way to deliver and track your training. As you evaluate your future needs, we hope you’ll consider our newest product, Rise.com. With Rise.com you can still host and track Studio and Storyline content, but you can also host and track any SCORM based content as well. Plus, you can create training in Rise.com and get access to tons of prebuilt, fully customizable training content. You can start a free, 30-day trial of Rise.com or contact a member of our Rise.com team at sales@rise.com to learn more about special discounts for our Articulate Online customers.

Over the next year, you’ll hear from us periodically with email reminders. We’re here to help you, so please feel free to reply here or reach out to us at support@articulate.com with your how-to questions.

UPDATE (10/29/2020): Edited to clarify that this decision won't affect Articulate 360 at all.

7 Replies
Justin Grenier

Definitely not, Kristin!

We're not making any changes at all to Articulate 360, which is is a holistic suite of interconnected apps for all your e-learning needs—from authoring (Storyline, Studio, Rise 360, Replay, and Peek 360) to sourcing assets (Content Library 360) to collaborating (Review 360) to training (Articulate 360 Training).

We're shutting down Articulate Online.  Articulate Online hosts and tracks content created with Storyline and Studio authoring apps.

We’re here to help you, so please feel free to reply here or reach out to us at support@articulate.com with your how-to questions.

Tom Carter

So i will no longer be able to publish my SL projects to Art-online but will still be able to do this to Review 360?

I frequently publish to Review so I can then add a SL block into my Rise projects - will this change at all?

As for tracking, I publish my Rise projects (with embedded SL blocks often set as tracking tool) to my company LMS. Will this work flow still be OK with the removal of Art-Online? I assume so.. thanks ;)

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tom,

You got it! Nothing changes with how you'll publish to Review 360 and include those Storyline courses into your Rise 360 courses.

Articulate Online is a separate subscription from Articulate 360 and is used by folks solely to host published courses from Storyline and Studio. 

Let us know if you need anything else! 

2Training Loan

This got me thinking long term and a question on what plans are in place to handle the possible generational change from Rise.com or even the hosted content in rise? 

Imagine that in many years from now there are potentially thousands of links going into your system from a company. Those links are used in all kinds of ways inside and outside of this company.
The effect of closing down that system/service?  It would be hard to comprehend the scope of that.

What is Articulates long term plan and recommendations on the hosting of courses and content ?

Robert Garnett

I have a concern now that I am trying to trial use Articulate 360.  We purchased entire Articulate Studio 13 Pro a few years back.  Are these slides and training material developed within our company compatible with new Articulate 360 ...in otherwords, is Articulate 360 backwards compatible and which what version(s)?  

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Robert, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

You can certainly upgrade your Presenter '13 content to Presenter 360:

How to Upgrade a Course to Presenter 360

You asked specifically about backward compatibility. Any content you create in Presenter 360 will not be compatible with Presenter '13.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood your question or can help you with anything further.