Audio Cutting Off

Oct 16, 2015

I am having a very frustrating audio issue in Storyline 2. I will have a presentation with audio narration (.wav files) on each slide. When I preview or publish the presentation, at least one audio file will cut off in the middle of the slide. If I go into the timeline of that slide, double-click the audio and then click "Save and Close" it fixes that slide. When I preview the presentation again, another slide might be having the same issue...this process will repeat itself over and over again.

I am working with files that are located on my Desktop. 

I will really appreciate any help with this issue!!

23 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Rashid! 

I invite you to take a look at this information:

Although Articulate Storyline and Articulate Studio '13 support a wide range of audio file formats (AAC, AIF, AIFF, M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA), not all codecs and bitrates are supported. If you encounter either of the issues described above, we recommend converting your audio files to 16 bit 44 KHZ PCM WAV for best results.

It looks like we were unable to re-create the users issue in this thread. 

Does this happen with any project or just one? Have you tried to import the audio into a new course to see if you have the same behavior?

Rashid Kharrat

Hello, the problem has persisted actually. I work with a team of three and i am the only one facing this issue although we all use the same audio files, publishing setting, and articulate version. I have uninstalled and reinstalled articulate and the problem has not been resolved. Please help as I am facing this with every course i publish.

Tamara Tarasova

Very annoying bug. Another solution that helped me was:

1. Find this audio file in the published version. Check it - in my case it was corrupted when transferred from the folder where I store originals.

2. Rename the original audio file with the exact publishing name of the corrupted file 

3. Replace the corrupted file in the published folder with the clean one.

4. Reupload the whole published folder to the LMS.

At least no new corrupted slides in this case as there was no new publishing process.

Joseph Ferraro

Just curious, does anyone have an example .story of this issue they could share?

Based on learning recently from another unrelated support case (#00880724) that when you save the audio in the SL2 editor, it re-encodes the file into your selected publish output settings, this might support the possibility that this "cutting out" issue is related to an unsupported audio type or resolution since "save and close" is fixing it.

Tamara Tarasova

Joseph,

Thanks for jumping in. Sorry, I can not provide the file for the understandable reasons but I wanted to clarify - are you saying that opening and resaving the audio on SL might help clearing the bug? I did all of the editing outside of the SL so never opened the editor. On the contrary, when I was narrating the file inside the SL - I never encountered this issue. If that is the case - this advice is golden! Thank you! 

Joseph Ferraro

Hi Tamara,

The opening and saving audio trick seems to be something that worked for the original poster - I haven't had an opportunity to reproduce this issue myself just yet, but I think it'd be worth a shot!

Do you know what the audio file type and resolution is for the ones you are editing outside of SL and importing?

Tamara Tarasova

Thank you Joseph and Ashley! I have resolved all issues by now untill our next revision so I can't really check if SL audio editor would work. I checked the preferences for the audio MP3s I am using: 44100 hz sample rate and 32 bit float sample format. Any other information might be helpful? Our next project will be out soon. 

Joseph Ferraro

Off the bat I'm willing to bet that the issue is the 32 bit wav. This is somewhat unusual even in professional audio production scenarios (outside of the DAW, which usually mixes interally at 32-bit, but you export lower). I'm not sure if SL2 could even handle 24 bit. I'd recommend having that re-exported as 44.1kHz | 16-bit, bet that would solve this.