18 Replies
Mien Patterson

Storyline 3 has an auto recovery setting, but does not have a auto save function?  Many times I try to save my project, but the screen keeps saying that I have to "Save as" because another program is running.  I don't know why that is. The project is the only one that is opened. Then it saves the file several times on my computer. This time, it didn't save anything even though I tried to save twice. Does anyone else experience that?

Lauren Connelly

Hello Mien!

That's correct, Storyline 3 has an auto-recovery setting and not an autosave function.

You can find the auto-recovery files by looking in your temp folder. You'll need to save the project first, and then it will initiate the auto-recovery feature. 

Here's how to look in your temp folders for Storyline 3 projects:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.  

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Philip Deer

I am curious, why is there not an autosave feature?

This is frustrating as my Storyline 360 crashes between 2-5 times per day sometimes more. I close it when not in use and my system far exceeds the minimum requirements. What might be some root causes I could look into?

Also, if you have to recover your documents do you lose some of what you were creating?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Philip!

I want our team of Support Engineers to work with you directly to fix this issue where Storyline 360 is crashing 2-5 times a day. I'm sorry you're running into this! Please use this link to connect with a Support Engineer.

We don't have an autosave feature, but we have an auto-recovery. The difference being that'll it will return you to an earlier version of your course if your Storyline program crashes, but it won't consistently save and have that copy accessible to you if you closed Storyline by accident. You can enable the auto-recovery feature here. You shouldn't lose any content you've created if the auto-recovery frequency is set between 5-10 minutes. 

I'll keep an eye out for your support case to see the fix!

Chrisie Creese

My Storyline is crashing several times a day. Ive contacted our I.T but they don't know the Articulate storyline software. I have followed the fix on temporary but cant change for TMP to Story, maybe it's because it's a company laptop and locked down. this is the list I followed but couldn't change the file extension name. so remaking all I've lost and set a timer on my phone to save every five minutes. 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Chrisie,

Do you know what version of Storyline you're using? 

• You can check by going to Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.55.25975.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

If you're already on the latest version, I recommend repairing your software to correct the behavior you are experiencing.

In addition, please be sure that you are working locally:

Storyline: Create, Edit, and Publish Courses on Your Local Hard Drive

Leslie McKerchie

Sure, Michelle. I'd be happy to clarify.

The AutoRecovery setting is not an auto-save feature. Here are the details:

Storyline will automatically save a copy of your project at the specified interval (after you’ve saved it at least once). The default interval is every 10 minutes, but you can enter any whole number between 1 and 120. If Storyline closes unexpectedly, you’ll be prompted to recover your project the next time you open it.

Storyline 360: Setting Storyline Options

Michelle McKinney

I wonder if this thread could clarify something else for me.

I have my autorecovery set to every 5 minutes. Today I've been working  on a file all day and as the screengrab attached shows, it has 2 autorecovery files created from a few hours ago, but nothing since. Shouldn't it have been creating a file or over-writing a file every 5 minutes?

Sarim Zie

This is such a disappointment. My company's evaluating Storyline vs Captivate - and some of the features that are default in many authoring software, are simply not present - like Autosave, or adding another animation to an object (which is available in Powerpoint from ages)...and the worst part is that I'm checking these boards - these don't seem to bother the creators nor seem to matter! Absolute neglect!

Becca Levan

Welcome to the community, LMS! I'm sorry you're also facing a similar issue. I'm happy to see that you connected with my teammate Jose in a support case. Great call!

I see the recommendation was to work on your local hard drive (typically your C: drive) when creating, editing, and publishing Storyline courses, as working on a network drive can cause erratic behavior.

Please be sure to let Jose know if you have any other issues or questions!