Blurry images after Storyline 360 latest update, June 18, 2019 (Build 3.29.19305.0)

Jun 27, 2019

I've noticed all of my images I insert into this Storyline 360 course appear blurry everywhere - on the Storyline development screens, when previewed and when published (either as HTML5 or Flash).

The images are all high quality. My Publish settings is set to 100% quality.  I've tried pngs, jpgs, all identical blurry results. All this is happening after applying animation to images or shapes build in storyline.

This is happening after Storyline 360's latest update, June 18, 2019 (Build 3.29.19305.0)

50 Replies
Katie Riggio

Good morning, Dharmesh!

Thanks for sharing what you're seeing! We found that an image could appear blurry when the Slide Size is different than the image dimensions. 

A few questions to help us explore further:

Additionally, we have these best practices for working with high-quality images. Let me know, and we'll work on our next steps!

Michelle Corby

I too am having issues with blurriness when previewing/publishing which only started since the latest update was installed.  It is most noticeable with lines and arrows created through the insert shapes option and some graphics are also affected.  Photo's and text are both crisp.

I've tried both of the preset slide dimensions with the same result.

Bryan McCrae

Hi, I'm getting the same issue with blurred images, despite having tried every workaround that I can find. This is a SERIOUS issue for me, I've now had prospective clients not procedding with paid projects due to the poor blurred iamges that our content contains.

Please escalate this issue ASAP to get a speedy resolution!

I have attached a sample project which shows the issue on  every image (eg see 'Stress Reducing Thoughts' slide).

Thanks,

Bryan

Ren Gomez

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear you’re running into this frustrating issue and that it’s impacting your clients. You’ve done everything right by trying different workarounds and reaching out to our support team to get to the bottom of the blurriness in your images. 

I see my teammate, Gerald, has reached out with some helpful tips. Take a look at his response, and here is your case's unique upload link if you're able to share the .story file with him to test.

You're in excellent hands, and I'll also follow the case as it progresses!

Lauren Connelly

Thanks for your input Pierre!

In case anyone else runs into a similar issue, here is the fix!

Adjust the image quality to your same slide size (720 x 405) without losing the quality. 

Then insert it to your slide and use the Zoom Picture formatting feature to let learners click your images to see larger, crisper versions of them. 

Start with high-quality images and videos that are already properly sized for your course. Scaling media up or down in your course can cause blurriness.

Bryan McCrae

Hi Lauren, thanks but I don't think  that fixes it. We have that and it does not get rid of the blurriness see https://url.upwork.com/_01MXdB85QYDFNrarMQ76xT5JUR-PHsGC2U

. Can you please liase with Gerald Sale in your support department Re: Case #01871381: Hi, I'm getting the same issue with blurred i... [ ref:_00D30Txo._500f31KRLGq [ [ ref:_00D30Txo._500f31KRLGq:ref ]

Gerald doesn't seem to be able to make it work without blurring either (we sent him the Story file) and the input from Pierre suggests that there may be a bug either in how HTML5 renders images, or in how Storyline processes them for publication? Here is the result that he produced, see

https://url.upwork.com/_01MXdB85QYDFN-1mcBHK617Rfi77TeBNxg

Also following on from Pierre's input, are we now suggesting that we need to design slides differently depending on whether they are going to be published in Flash or HTML5??

We are getting very frustrated with this issue..... have spent over a week trying to get it to an acceptable quality........

matt thorne

oh look. Yet another example of an Articulate product destroying the quality of images that you feed it and their response is "We're not doing it wrong, you're doing it wrong." 

The way that Articulate products handle images that you place in your content is fundamentally broken and their attitude towards it appears to be 🤷‍♂️

I was told via email that an issue we reported with labeled graphics (it's in another thread) isn't likely to be touched. It's not "a priority issue."

Their response is always to require a workaround rather than...fix.the.product.

Very frustrating.

Bryan McCrae

Articulate are now looking at this as a potential bug, see below.

Does anyone know if Articulate have a facility to allow us to vote for the priority of bug fixes, so we can try and get this sorted ASAP?

Re: Case #01871381: Hi, I'm getting the same issue with blurred i... [ ref:_00D30Txo._500f31KRLGq [ [ ref:_00D30Txo._500f31KRLGq:ref ]

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for sharing your files.

Our best practice for a high-quality image is always set your player size to "Lock player to optimal size".

However, we also don't want for the image to reduce it's quality when you're using "Scale Player to Fill Browser Window", so I've logged your case as a possible software bug.

From here, I’ll meet with my team to take a closer look so we can determine next steps. Sometimes my team catches errors in my logic and we don’t have a bug after all. Of course, if that’s the case, I’ll let you know!

Depending on priority and risk, some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others take longer to resolve. Here's more information on how we identify and tackle bugs: https://articulate.com/support/article/How-We-Tackle-Bugs

I’ll let you know as soon as we have an update on this issue. Thanks so much again for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry if it’s slowing you down.

In regards to large player size e.g. (1280 x 720) then selecting 'Scale player to fill browser window', while using large, good quality images. I think that may work.

However, I can't help you with the testing as I don't have an Adobe license to get the image from your PDF file, and I don't have Photoshop to adjust the image resolution with losing the quality. It worth a try and make sure to follow some of our best practices here:

https://www.articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Best-Practices-for-High-Quality-Images-and-Videos

Let me know if you need anything else!

Gerald Sale
Customer Support Engineer
Articulate Support - http://www.articulate.com/support/

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for sharing those details from your case with Gerald here. I'm sorry it's caused you such trouble and so many issues with your clients. I do see that Gerald filed it as a bug, and I did want to reiterate the issue is how images may appear blurry/fuzzy when the player is set to scale to fill the browser window.

If you're able to lock the player at the optimal size, that'll keep everything displaying as you'd expect and designed which is outlined in the best practices Gerald mentioned. 

If anyone is having issues with the content being blurry and it doesn't match the description above, please let our Support Team know! They are available 24/7 to work with you one-on-one to dig into issues and determine next steps. 

kristian chartier

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would think that locking the player at a specific resolution is an acceptable solution. Regardless of whether or not it's considered an Articulate best practice, it's ridiculous that an authoring tool that bills itself as responsive would even suggest this.

Ed Scott

I've gotten blurry screens too. We really need a resolution.

I know you are working on this but we rely on this tool to help provide a superior experience to our clients and to feed our families. This is a very serious matter as some of us may lose tens to hundreds of thousands o billable work!

Thank you for working diligently on fix sooner and than later. 

Ren Gomez

Hi David,

Glad to hear the Content Library images are coming in clean!

How are you taking your screenshots? Through the screen recording tool? It's always helpful to make sure your aspect ratio is the same as your story size, and try not to resize your images, as that may affect the quality as well. You can read more about that here

Let us know if you're using something different!

kristian chartier

@david... I ran into a similar problem a few years ago with SL2. Ultimately, I replaced all screenshots with single frame screen recordings. Another option you could try is take your published file and replace all images in it with your original uncompressed images. Of course, depending on how many screenshots you've taken, that could be quite time consuming.