Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we’ve included: 

• Position captions at the top or bottom of the slide to ensure closed caption visibility and prevent the obstruction of critical course content.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

62 Replies
Karen Drummey

I agree that some ability to change the placement of the CC text would be helpful. We just got 360 and we are adding CC to some older courses. I had to do a lot of editing to the course because the CC text was covering some important elements. And the extra space between the CC text box and the bottom of the frame is wasted real estate.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Karen!

Happy to hear you're trying out the built-in closed captioning editor! While the placement of the closed captions box is fixed, we have heard feedback from other customers that the placement should be customizable. We're tracking the popularity of this request--if it makes it into a future update of Storyline 360, we'll let you know!

Our product team does love hearing new ideas, so keep them coming!

Anthony Beare

Hi Alyssa,

I too think we desperately need more customisable closed captioning, it's crazy that we're stuck with a black box in a fixed position - If it doesn't match with your theme or covers the function you're trying to display in the video there's nothing you can do (outside of moving the whole video itself)...!

Michael Merritt

I entered a feature request as I would love the Size & Position box that opens for Closed Captions to allow me to do something. All the settings are there that i want to use, but all are grayed out and won't let me do what i need to do for the client.

Clint Clarkson

@Teresa Vanderpost

Just stumbled on this old post, thought I'd throw in an extra thought.

Depending on the length/complexity of your audio file, it can also be useful to open the audio editor (double-click the audio in the timeline), and add find the point(s) in your audio you want to sync images/text/etc. to, and write down that time. You can then find the appropriate spot in your timeline. 

In this way, you can actually find your sync points, align your playhead to them and insert your images in exactly the right spot. No mucking around.

Teresa Vanderpost

Thanks Clint,
I find this forum very helpful, and love that people will stumble across old posts and still be able to help me. I haven't had any audio in e-learning for a little while so I will keep this on file and will totally give it a try the next time.

Teresa

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ : Ce message électronique, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est joint, est reserve à l'usage exclusif du destinataire visé et peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Toute lecture, utilisation, divulgation ou distribution non autorisée est interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, veuillez en aviser l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et détruire toutes les copies du message original.

Kate Gibbs

Following up from messages from Nancy Woinoski  Hero almost 3 years ago
...you can't control the placement of the closed captioning box ...
and... Bob O'Donnell saying... [...]  Not a big deal.... just need to keep it under consideration for all our interface layouts using video.

Any chance a sidebar location of the CC box has been developed? Thanks.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Kate and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for contacting us to follow up. Adjusting the placement and layouts of Closed Captions is not a feature that we've further developed at this time.

You can certainly place 'Notes' in the sidebar via the Player. Not sure if that may be helpful for you in the meantime.

Katie Riggio

Hi Ann,

We're still monitoring requests for more customization options for closed captions and will update our report with your vote. Thanks for contributing!

In the meantime, superhero, Matthew Bibby, has a crafty method for implementing this! Check out this tutorial on how to reposition closed captions in Storyline 360.

Tom Carter

Just reading through all this as I've been trying to use SL360 for closed captioning and find it unusable.

Although I could think about the CC more during a video shoot, it seems absurd to allow for a hugely CC box that cannot be made transparent in anyway. I wont be using SL for CC anytime soon, unless some new feature makes it far more editable.

I love 360 and use it for virtually all my online learning creation. SO it's a bit frustrating that I will have to continue going outside SL/360 to creating video with CC and then import these..

Not ideal!!

Karen Drummey

I agree with the comments about CC editing and video. I know you are looking feature suggestions with lots of requests to make a case to enhance features, but that's really not the right approach here. The goal is to make courses inclusive of all learners and should be considered because It's the right thing to do, not because it's popular. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included some new features a few important fixes you'll see in the release notes.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Make closed captions easier to read. Increase the captions font size up to 200% in the modern player.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Teresa Vanderpost

HI Leslie, this is great news, however, any reason they only did it for the Modern player?  Our organization prefers the features of the classic player and we never use the modern player.  I am noticing this is not the first time that an improvement has been made on the modern player only.  Hoping to hear if they are going to implement something like this it would be for both players.  Please let me know.  

Lauren Connelly

Hello Teresa!

I'm happy to hear your excitement for this feature!

Great question!

We don't have plans to add new features to the classic player in Storyline. The vast majority of our customers use the modern player in Storyline 360, so that's where we're putting our focus. Here's how the modern and classic players compare.

Could you share more details about what you like most about the classic player? I'm happy to share your thoughts with my team and let you know of any related updates!

Nick Eastham

I used the Matthew Bibby approach from 2018...
https://matthewbibby.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/posts/2018/03/01/captions/How%20to%20Reposition%20Closed%20Captions%20in%20Storyline%20360.pdf

...but couldn't get it to work until I changed the JavaScript to:

if (!window.movedCaptions){
var sheet = document.getElementsByClassName("caption");
sheet[0].style['margin-bottom'] = '140px';
window.movedCaptions = true;
}