12 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hey Iman!

I'm so sorry this has been causing headaches for you. I'm happy to help, and I just replied to you over in this thread regarding this issue. 

If importing your slides into a new file doesn't resolve this, I have a few more questions to help narrow down what's happening here:

  1. What version of Storyline are you using?
  2. Is this happening in one file in particular or any file you're working on?
  3. Are you saving your files locally (on your C:Drive or Desktop) or are you working from a shared/network drive?

Keep me posted! 

Ren Gomez

Hi Debbie,

That's correct, importing would only be for fixing the error from popping up, but it will not be able to save your current work. I'm sorry if you've lost some work in the process. You may want to try checking your temporary folders to see if there's a recent version you can recover.

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Hope that helps, and if you're still running into that error, be sure you're working locally to reduce the risk of it popping up and connect with our support engineers, as they can dig into your setup to help troubleshoot.

Paula DeYoung

Hi all -

After having the same problem (CompressLengthMismatch), I tried importing into a new SL file and it worked for me. 

I learned the hard way to save my work at regular intervals, but particularly after programming a complex interaction for instances such as this. 

Do we know what causes this error? 

Mihaela Cris

Hello, everyone! I also encountered this issue yesterday (although my work was done 100% locally). I tried to import the last version of the file into a New project, but it did not work (attached printscreen). Then I tried to open the file from the computer and that did not work also ... I am not sad about the lost work (it was just a rudimentary "prototype"). My conclusion for now is that versioning is safer than auto-recovery :)  ... Thank you! 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Mihaela!

I'm happy to help!

There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

If this doesn't do the trick, use this link to start working with our Support Engineers!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Dave!

So sorry you're hitting this snag! I'm happy to help.

Have you tried importing the file into a new project? If so, I'd also recommend seeing if there's a working version of the file in the Temp folder. 

If you tried both of these, let's get our Support Engineers involved. You can use this link to reach out to our Support team. We'll work with you 1:1 to find a fix!

Tuggen Even

Hello Dave, 

The solutions mentioned above works in some of the cases, so I would definitely suggest trying to replace the slides with a new SL file. If the problem still occurs as It did in my case:

This error prevents you from publishing the e-module. It stops publishing and prints the error message during publishing.

Publish the file and watch the publishing loading bar with the progress information right below it. SL will give the error message during the publishing. The error is caused by the slide it gives the error during publishing it. Replace the images and sound files on that slide.