Removal of the Black Screen at the start of the Articulate Storyline Module

Dec 20, 2021

Dear Articulate Team,

Hope You'll well!

We wanted a quick fix solution to the storyline module as to how can we be able to remove the black screen with the play button at the start of the module. (Please see the attachment for more details)

We wanted to represent our solution to the client without the black screen preferably OR at least be able to change the style of the page?

Your quick solution would be appreciated.

28 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ruby.

Thank you for reaching out!

Do you have audio or video on the first slide of your Storyline project? This article will explain why you see this behavior on modern browsers. 

One option to avoid the Play button is to insert a blank slide as your first slide and add a trigger to jump to the next slide when the timeline starts.

Keep in mind that this will also be browser-dependent, and while it might show the slide without the Play button, it might still require the user to click on the screen to hear the audio. 

You can also customize the black screen with the button by adding a cover photo. You can read more here.

I hope this helps!

Jean-Christophe Goyette

The issue isn't the black screen, it's the mandatory Play button.

If there's an audio file on the first slide, even on an untriggered layer, the black screen will appear. If you don't have an audio file on the first slide, but one of the second slide, that file will be muted if the first slide is progressing automatically. Basically, there must be no audio or video file at all on your first slide and its layers.

It has become a BIG problem, as screen readers CANNOT detect that black screen and the Play button.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

articulate probably needs to rework the entire startup behavior for courses with audio/video

the behavior with media autoplay is - depending on the browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari OS-X, Safari iOS) - different strict

there will be no way around the button, but of course it has to be implemented compatible to screen reader

Wayne Letcher

Hi. I am using a round-about way to fix the problem of a black screen and Start button on videos within Rise 360.

When I used Storyline to generate a video (MP4), Rise 360 displayed the video with a black screen and a Start button, much the same as others have complained about. This is also after using the Cover Photo option in the Player menus.

I used Premiere Pro and Camtasia video editing software packages to take a quick look at the video Storyline generated. I discovered the very first frame of the video is BLANK. The second frame of the video contained the cover photo I had specified. 

So, I used Camtasia to cut the very first frame off, then EXPORT it into an MP4 file again. When I uploaded the video to Rise 360, the black screen was replaced by the image I wanted. 

It is an arduous fix, but I am using it.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

even if "add a slide without audio at the beginning of the course" works for you on the test platform on your computer today, it does not mean that it will work for the learner on his computer tomorrow.

playback without previous user interaction of audio or video with audio depends on

• browser of the learner (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
  • desktop or mobile
  • the domain, where the training is hosted (Chrome only)
  • are you using one of the "top thousand" domains for hosting (Chrome only)
  • how often the user has been clicked media on this domain (Chrome only)
  • whether the user profile of the browser is fresh (Chrome only)
  • if the behavior of the browser is changing again

If you use this "trick", you risk that audio or video won't start on slide 2.

("Chrome" means all Chromium Browser, like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, ...)

more infos "autoplay audio"

Kelly Mazzrillo

I'm now having this issue after Articulate did an update. I didn't have it before. I don't have audio on my first slide only a start button. I also tried adding a extra screen to go to the next slide with the start button on that instead and I'm still getting the same thing. Any new solutions to this issue?

Theresa Hassey

I've had a similar issue just recently, I have just one slide in my course and there are two layers with videos in each. I tried all the suggestions above but none worked to get rid of the big play button at the start so I rebuilt it from scratch to see where the problem started from and it seems that it all works fine (without any big play button) until I add the closed captions to the videos, either by uploading them or by typing them in manually. Once the captions are added I get the play button again. Is there a way around this? I really need to add the captions but also don't want to have that big play button. Putting a blank slide doesn't work for this - the only way I can get rid of the play button is to remove the captions!

Claudia Escobar

I'm seeing the same issues as everyone who has posted in the last week. I thought I was doing something wrong but now realize it's Articulate...not me. This is incredibly frustrating. Other colleagues have assigned a cover slide, which is fine if you create one continuous course. I have multiple scenes to break things up. PLEASE fix this issue!!!

Jose Tansengco

Hello All,

I wanted to share that we are currently tracking a known issue where a play button shows even if there is no media file on the first slide and there is closed captions present in the slide. One workaround is to downgrade your installation to Storyline 360 Update 81

I've added this community post to the bug report so we can notify everyone subscribed to this thread as soon as a fix is released, and we're very sorry for any inconvenience this bug may have caused!

michael roddick

For clarity Jose, this line "I wanted to share that we are currently tracking a known issue where a play button shows even if there is no media file on the first slide and there is closed captions present in the slide.", do you mean closed captioning in the project or on the first slide? I don't think there can be CC if there is no media.