Resume saved state not working

Jan 30, 2018

I create a very simple story line with 5 slides. For each of them, I set "when visiting" to "resume saved state". My expectation is that if users go to slide 3 and close the course window, then if they launch the course afterward, the course window should show them slide 3 instead of slide 1. I wonder if this is the correct behavior of "resume saved state"?

However, when I publish my story line to SCORM 2004 4th format and upload it to scorm.com to test, using a free account, the behavior is weird:

1. When I go to slide 3 and quit, then launch the course again, it shows slide 1

2. When I go to slide 4 and quit, then launch the course again, it shows the message "would you like to resume where you left off?" If I say "yes", then slide 4 will be displayed.

3. If I go to slide 3 and quit, and launch the course again, it shows the message "would you like to resume where you left off?" If I say "yes", then slide 4 will be displayed instead of slide 3.

I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong? Please find attached the test story line.

I also check some other similar posts in this forum (Resume Saved State NOT working) and none of them helps.

Thanks for your help.

35 Replies
Shannon B

Hi Dinh,

The "Resume Saved State" slide feature dictates how each individual slides reacts when you revisit them - not necessarily that the individual slide will appear when you resume a course. For instance, if you want an animation to play through only once upon the initial visit, "Resume Saved State" will allow you to revisit that slide and the animation shouldn't replay.

If you are mainly focused on how the course reacts when you completely close out and then reopen the course, I would check your properties in the player. By default, it chooses on Restart to "Prompt to resume". You can change this and set it to "Always Resume". I would give that a try and see how that changes what you are seeing.

Dinh Nguyen

Shannon,
Thanks for your promptly response. I tried the option "Always resume" but no luck. The course is still loaded from the 1st slide. I notice that when I publish the course to Tin Can format, the resume feature seems to work fine. Not sure anyone has a work-around for SCORM 2004 4th format.

Shannon B

Interesting. I'm not quite sure then! Perhaps try to set your slide states to "Reset to Initial State" and see how that works alongside "Always resume"/"Prompt to resume". The suspend data limits may be exceeded for some reason - which I would find odd since SCORM 2004 3rd and 4th are the two with longer suspend data limits.

If that doesn't seem to help, I would put in a help ticket unless someone else has an easier answer than what my mind is currently coming up with!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dinh,

Using the prompt to resume as Shannon mentioned should resume you to where you left off. (An exception to this is some LMSs when you meet the completion requirement, it'll force the course into review mode - you can read more about that here.)

Perhaps your LMS doesn't support that SCORM standard if it's working with Tin Can API? Have you looked at testing the same course in SCORM Cloud? 

Hi Dinh,

Thanks for confirming that. I tested it myself this AM, and saw some really inconsistent behavior with the resuming, so I've reached out to my team to take a further look at this.

Could you share a link to your SCORM Cloud output? Also, have you seen the resume prompt at all, or it's never appearing in your course?

Lastly, what browsers are you viewing it in? 

Dinh Nguyen

Ashley,
This is the link to my course: https://cloud.scorm.com/sc/user/Course?appId=R60Y1GNU9B&courseId=Savestagetest-2004-4th482b43c3-57af-4a1a-a1c1-98f89009cb67. I wonder how can I share the output from SCORM Cloud?

Yes, I can see the prompt message "would you like to resume where you left off?" I have done my testings on Chrome (63.0 and 64.0) and Firefox (58.0.1)

Hi Dinh,

You'd want to generate an invite link to your course - that'd be the way to share the output. It looks like you've just sent the general link to your SCORM Cloud account. 

Also, if you're seeing the resume prompt, it's just that the slide is returning you to an earlier point in the course than where you actually left off? We saw some varying behavior, so I want to make sure I share your exact set up too! If you wanted you could take Peek of the problem? You can include the "Share" link here in your reply! 

Crystal Horn

Hey everybody. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 13 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where the resume behavior was inconsistent in SCORM output.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Ruthya Krishnappa

Hello, 

As there been an update to this fix? I'm in a similar situation where I need to lock down the seekbar so users can't skip ahead; this also means I need to create a trigger to disable the 'next' button when timeline starts, and create a another trigger for the 'next' button to normal when the timeline ends. When I advance to the next slide, and hit previous to revisit the slide, it does not save the initial state. The next button is disabled, and so is the seekbar. I'm stuck on that slide. Is this normal or is there a variable that can fix this? Please help!

Leslie McKerchie

No worries Lauren, we'd be happy to help you out.

• What issue are you running into with the resume state?
  • How are you publishing and sharing the content?
    • If LMS, is it Tin Can, SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, or AICC
  • Is it not resuming where you expect? 

If you'd like us to take a look at your .story file, feel free to share that as well. If you cannot share it here in the forums, you are welcome to share it here privately.

Louisa Antoine

I'm having issues with the resume saved state feature in my LMS (Moodle). When I upload my course as SCORM 1.2 the resume state feature doesn't work but if I upload it as SCORM 2004, the resume state feature works partially (it resumes the state for some items but not all). The problem is SCORM 2004 is not recommended for Moodle so I can't use it as I am not sure what issues it would cause. 

The issue I have is that a menu lets you navigate sections in your preferred order. Once a section is complete, that sections gets ticked on the menu. You can only complete the course if all sections are ticked.

When resuming the course the following happens:-

• menus are no longer ticked
  • variables no longer set as true
  • You are not taken to the last slide visited

Marilyn Mejia

I'm having resume state issues. Basically, I'm using it for a survey. It's one slide that then gets covered when you submit by a layer thanking the user and I don't want people to be able to submit multiple times. I'm publishing for the web and it's resetting every time I refresh the page. How can I fix this?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Marilyn,

Do you have the slide properties set to resume saved state?

What do you mean by resetting every time you refresh the page? Is this in your browser window while taking the course? If so, that's not a 'revisit' to a slide. Try moving to the next slide and then back to see if it's working as intended.