Storyline 360 - Animate In By Paragraph Missing Words and Lines

Aug 06, 2021

I'm encountering a super frustrating bug in Storyline 360. 

Whenever I use the Animate In By Paragraph option, there is a chance that it will either;

1. Completely skips lines in the paragraph,
  2. Completely skip an entire paragraph, or,
  3. Delay the paragraph from appearing, throwing off all timings for the rest of the slide.

I've found a "fix" where I just move the paragraph back and forth in the timeline, and it seems to fix it, but then it also appears that they just decide to break on their own. So I fix the issue, it previews correctly, I move on to other slides to fix the issue, and it just breaks again, but sometimes it doesn't break, but one that previously worked fine, now no longer works. Then, when I publish the module to Review 360 or to a SCORM, I find that they are broken again. 

I've attached a video to further demonstrate the issue. 

I've tried updating SL, rewriting the paragraphs, and even just starting again, but I have had this happen in 3 separate storyline files on multiple machines now. 

Any assistance would be great, as this bug is making the review process of making modules extremely tedious and makes SL nearly unusable. 

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly
Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.70.29211.0)! In this update, we've released the fix for the bug where text boxes that animate by paragraph might not load consistently.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! If you run into any issues, please reach out to us by submitting a support case!
74 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing a video of what you're experiencing! I was unable to replicate the issue on a sample file, but let's double-check a few items:

• Are you saving locally? If you have a file saved to a network drive or have it synced to a cloud-based storage program, it can cause issues with erratic behavior.
  • Are you on the latest update? You can go to the Help tab and click About Storyline to check.

If all is good on those items, I'd like to have our support team review one of your .story files and help troubleshoot. Feel free to share it with us here.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Alistair,

Thank you for the additional information.

The sync process temporarily locks the file. While you're working on your Storyline file, it's being locked by OneDrive every time there is a modification, which is what causes the erratic issues Ren mentioned above.

The two options to get around this are:

1. Move the file to a truly local drive (no sync at all).
  2. Pause syncing for the cloud drive so there is no attempt to save the changes to the cloud as you are working with the file.

If you'd prefer to work with one of our support engineers, you can reach them directly here.

Malcolm Nunn

Is there any progress on this issue?  Searching through the forums it is not an isolated issue, but each response from support is the same and ends up in a ticket.

Are there any suggestions beyond the copy and paste set of suggestions that clearly don't fix the issue?

Here's another article with the same issue from two years ago.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/problem-with-animation-by-paragraph

Becca Levan

Hi Malcolm! 

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry you're hitting a similar issue. I searched through Alistair's case notes, and I don't have an update to share, as we didn't receive confirmation that their issue was resolved. 

Connecting with a support engineer is the best route since there isn't a standard resolution, and it may be specific to the project. I'd encourage you to share your file with our team to work with you directly to find what is causing this for you. We'll reach out soon after reviewing your file!

Thuc-Nhu Vu

I had the same problem and thought I fixed it but when I updated to the new April 20 version, animate by paragraph is acting up again.

Certain words disappear within one textbox. Certain lines disappear if animating multiple paragraphs. The support engineer did not have the issue with my source files but I continually do.

Very frustrating!

Andrea Koehntop

Hello Thuc-Nhu Vu, and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community!

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing. I see you worked on a case with our support engineer Dexter. 

Here's an article on how to fix erratic behavior on your computer.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, you may need to remove the Articulate 360 files from your computer and install them again. If you need the steps again on how to do that, feel free to respond to the email you received from support. 

Please let me know if you need additional assistance! 

Thuc-Nhu Vu

I have done the steps several times. I have also reverted back to the update where you said that you fixed the bug.

I believe the bug is in the animate by paragraphs where the program does not recognize the character spacing (space or a carriage return) that means paragraph versus blank line verses space. If I make it animate in as a whole object. There seems to be no problems. It just meant that I had to spend several hours remaking text boxes and redoing the animation and timing for each text box.

Thuc Vu

Jose Tansengco

Hello Kimmo,

I've reviewed Alistair's case, and it looks like one of the identified causes of the issue is certain fonts that were installed on their machine. If your course is using custom fonts, are you able to replicate the behavior if you switch your course's font to Arial or any of Storyline 360's built-in fonts? 

If using Arial doesn't fix the issue, would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline 360 project file with me so I can take a closer look at what's happening? You can upload it here, or in private through a support case for testing. 

Alistair Arkwright
Joe Tansengco

Hello Kimmo,

I've reviewed Alistair's case, and it looks like one of the identified causes of the issue is certain fonts that were installed on their machine. If your course is using custom fonts, are you able to replicate the behavior if you switch your course's font to Arial or any of Storyline 360's built-in fonts? 

If using Arial doesn't fix the issue, would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline 360 project file with me so I can take a closer look at what's happening? You can upload it here, or in private through a support case for testing. 

Just letting you know, I have experienced this issue on machines without any custom fonts installed, across multiple different projects, many of which do not share any fonts and some which use only system fonts.

Kimmo Oksanen

Hello Joe, 

we have also tried using Arial and the issue is the same. Last thing we did was uninstalling and re-installing SL according to this instruction (https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-Storyline-360-How-to-Fix-Unexpected-or-Erratic-Behavior). But the problem still persist. 

My colleague has already opened a support case around this issue (Case #03230580). But all the discussions I have red so far says that Articulate is not able to replicate the issue on yourside, but it is obvious that many of your clients are struggling with it. I hope that you at Articulate take this issue seriously, as it is not possible that in each case the problem is on client side. 

Implementing separate boxes is really not a solution us and I don't need any workarounds. I just want to understand what causes this problem and how we can prevent it happening again. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Alistair Arkwright

That's good to know. Easiest workaround I've found is to open up the dropdown of the text in the timeline, and move each paragraph's timeline object back and forward. This seems to force Articulate to re-render the text animation.

It's extremely frustrating and time consuming to do this every time I publish a course, especially if its to SCORM and I have to watch the entire module to make sure the text hasn't messed up.

It's been happening for the better part of a year now, and it's costing me A LOT of time to fix each time.