Storyline 360 latest build will not launch

Jul 23, 2021

The first time this has happened in all the years using Storyline. I was working along yesterday just fine when all of a sudden Storyline locked up. A few seconds later my computer crashed. 

After rebooting my computer, relaunching the Articulate 360 app, and then attempting to open Storyline 360, the title screen would appear but then drop off. 

Following the repair guide, I uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed build 3.53.25436.0, rebooted, and still not wanting to launch. I uninstalled again and re-installed the previous version from June 1 - 3.52.25247.0 and it seems to be working fine.

I'm on Windows 10 with the latest updates. 

I'm at a loss on what to do next except wait for the next update and see if that overrides whatever is keeping the latest build from launching.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

8 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Kevin.

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the new update of Storyline!

Since you've already tried some troubleshooting steps, I went ahead and opened a support case on your behalf with our engineers. You should hear from our team soon via e-mail.

Ray Cole

I may be experiencing the same issue. I usually don't apply Storyline updates immediately but instead wait a week or so to see if there are issues. The last update was in June, though, so today I applied the update. As soon as I finished, my anti-virus software (Sophos) flagged a "threat detected" message when I launched Storyline, and then Storyline crashes.

I uninstalled Storyline, rebooted my computer, and reinstalled Storyline, but this did not fix the problem. Sophos still flags a threat when I try to launch Storyline and Storyline crashes shortly after, so that it never completes the launch.

Here's a snip from my screen:

Storyline Crashes after Sophos Detects a Threat in It After Applying Latest Storyline 360 Update

I'd like to try rolling back to the previous version. How do I install an older version of Storyline? I'm an Articulate 360 subscriber.

Thanks!

-Ray

Becca Levan

Hey there, Ray! Nice troubleshooting steps you've taken so far; thanks for sharing the details!

Here's how you can revert to an older version: How to Install a Previous Version of an App.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd recommend getting a case started so you can work 1:1 with one of our support engineers as the next step: Connect With A Support Engineer.

Kevin Thorn

Update: Working with an Articulate Engineer and following the steps outline in an email, unfortunately, I still couldn't get Storyline to launch. 

The good news is everything is working great now, but I have no earthly idea how. I shut everything down, took a few days off, came back, updated the most recent release, and it's like nothing was ever wrong. Go figure!