Storyline 360 quiz is acting strange

Jul 14, 2021

I have been working in Storyline for many years and have never seen this issue. I have a series of end of module assessments that I have been creating. I have 4 done with no issue that I created last week, but when I published the 5 one Monday, something odd is happening. When the reviewer went in and looked at it today, she answered one question and then it skipped by the next two, landed on the 4, after she answered that, it skipped the next 6 and went to the result slide. It does the same in review and marked those answers as incorrect but you can't even see them. I am not using question banks, the questions are all multiple choice, and all the questions have no feedback. It is almost like the slides are set to automatically advance but they are not, they are set to advance by user interaction. I am stumped to be honest. There is nothing on the master slide that could be causing the jump, and I actually just tried rebuilding it and now different slides are acting up. No rhyme or reason. Any thoughts?

14 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Randy.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing!

We have a bug reported where a Trigger to Jump to Next Slide when Timeline Starts automatically added when duplicating quiz slides. 

As a workaround, you can copy and paste the contents of the quiz slide instead of duplicating it. 

I've connected this discussion to the bug report, which we're actively looking into, and I'll be sure to come back to update you when I have some news. 

Jennifer Paz

I saw Phil Mayor's advice on how to eliminate the bug earlier last week and have found it in certain quiz types and not others. Meanwhile, I just put 7 "bug free" quiz slides into a Quiz Bank and NOW they are bugged—but there is no way to see the bugged trigger to eliminate it! Do I need to submit a case, or will this be fixed soon by chance? My quiz now plays like a video (no chance to interact with it), but it was working perfectly before I added the Quiz Bank. 

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

Great news! We released a new update for Storyline 360 today. In Update 54 (Build 3.54.25674.0), we fixed the bug where when duplicating question slides or importing them from a template, a hidden trigger could get added to the slides, causing them to be skipped in the published output.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out for help in this discussion or a support case.

Maura Sullivan

Lauren,

Do we know when this error started (i.e., what Build)?

I ask because we always wait for the updates to settle down without bugs before we upgrade. We're on version 3.48.24159.0 and would like to know whether our version is stable or not. We had a user or two report that questions were marked as answered before they got to the slide. Is that the behavior that occurs? Is there any way we can confirm that we have this bug too?

Upgrading for us requires a security scan of the software before we can proceed.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Maura.

Thank you for reaching out! The bug was reported in Build 3.53.25436.0 and fixed in Build 3.54.25674.0.

The behavior was that a duplicated quiz slide would automatically add a hidden trigger to jump to the next slide, therefore skipping it. 

I'm happy to take a look at your .story file to see what's going on if you're comfortable sharing it publicly here or privately through a support case

Sylvia Drower

Hi Maria,

I was caught with the auto text resizing "feature" (cost me lots of hours to rectify), now I am wary of upgrading due to my lack of faith in your development/Beta test team.

However, I too have now been afflicted with the skipping questions issue.  So I have been forced to upgrade. 

My current build is V3.54.25674.0. From your comments, the bug should be fixed.

However prior to the upgrade I completed 257 "pick one" questions and I am now confronted with yet another mess to clean up.  

I upgraded, yet the hidden triggers are still scattered throughout my project. Is the upgrade supposed to also clean up the mess by removing these hidden triggers that jump to the next slide when timeline starts?

Or do I have to manually go through each one and disconnect the hidden trigger as this appears to be the only solution provided to deal with infected questions (thank you to Phil Mayor who actually provided a solution to deal with it).

This is another major disaster in my project, to preview for each test run takes 1.5 hours to prepare the preview (yes it's a big project).  I currently select a few slides to preview but I will need to run it all soon prior to delivery to my client.

I need my faith to be restored in Articulate because at the moment, I am seeing major faults that any Beta tester should have picked up prior to release to the application users.

Becca Levan

Hi Sylvia,

First, I'm so sorry you're hitting this roadblock, and I can certainly understand your frustration. From here, I've opened a support case on your behalf for you to work 1:1 with one of our support engineers. 

You should have received an email from me with a private upload link to share your file. This will help our engineers determine a cause and provide the help you need. Someone will reach out shortly after reviewing your file!