The WRONG Images are Showing Up in Preview and Published Versions of Content
Aug 22, 2018
I have a super baffling situation for you that I hope someone can help us with. We're also talking to Tech Support, but so far no light has been shed.
We've never seen this problem before and nothing we've tried as resolved it. We are losing our minds. The entire team of 4 people are having the same issue (all on different computers) and can't figure this out.
The situation: We have a course. We got it translated into 14 languages. We do this a lot, translate our courses. Then we publish them for clients' LMSs and deliver.
Only this time, with this one course, and its 14 language versions, when we publish a language, images that have been localized are now showing up in OTHER LANGUAGES.
When we dig into the Storyline files themselves (thinking our translation company had screwed up and put the wrong images in the wrong language files), we find that the CORRECT image files are in the correct languages. But when we PREVIEW or PUBLISH, that's when sh** hits the fan.
Here's an example:
We are so perplexed, and the client is pissed, and we don't know what to do to rectify it because nothing is working.
- The translation company can't reproduce the issue.
- Articulate tech support can't reproduce the issue.
- We've rebooted.
- We've reinstalled Articulate.
- We've redownloaded the files from the translation company.
- We've moved the files to other locations on the C drive to publish (and yes we're always working from the local C drive).
- We've imported the course into a new STL file.
- We've emptied the temp and cache files.
NOTHING has fixed the problem.
I, normally not involved in the day to day with the team, jumped in to the fray to help, thinking that since my computer has never even seen these files that it might be able to publish everything just fine. I first opened the German file, published just fine. No issues. Then I opened Turkish, and the above issues started happening.
One of the team had started with the Chinese file, and the exact same thing happened. The Chinese one published just fine. But every language she did after that showed Chinese images instead of the respective languages.
Right now, the ONLY thing that I can think to do (and that has worked) is replacing all of the translated image files in the published output folder and rezipping. This is a tedious thing to do to 14 courses that I'm hoping we can avoid, but if we have to do it for this one client, we will to get it out the door. I do NOT, however, want to have to do that forever going forward for this one course. WHY is this happening????????
I have a few questions that may or may not bear any relevance:
- when Storyline publishes a course, is it creating temp files somewhere, that it might then try to reference when publishing another course?
- why and HOW could files from one course end up in another?
- why would the preview function show something different than what's actually on the timeline?
- In the old days of Studio, with the linked files and things not being embedded, I do remember this happening if we weren't careful about about file organization and linking. But everything is supposed to be embedded in a Storyline file, so how would this even happen??
Help us Obi Wan! What is going on?!?!?