Videos Flash/Flicker Before Playing in LMS and on Articulate 360 Review

Oct 09, 2018

Hi there! I have created three content pages that launch MP4s (created in Vyond, formerly GoAnimate). The videos play as expected when I launch them locally via Storyline 360. However, when I review the course in Articulate 360 review or on my client's LMS, they flash/flicker before they play. Any ideas what I can do to resolve this issue? I tried adding a trigger with a one-second delay, as some of the other video troubleshooting posts suggested; however, it didn't fix my issue (I have since removed it). 

I have attached my .story file. My browser is Edge, but the videos play fine as standalone MP4s. Here's a sample: http://peggydemos.s3.amazonaws.com/Tip1-1080p-8e6da3c9-2c41-4977-b844-acdabf493d93.mp4

21 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for sharing the file. I took a look and published it to Articulate 360 and you'll view it here. 

I also took a quick recording of what I saw using Peek so that I could demonstrate it. I didn't experience any flashing in Chrome as you'll see, but I did see it in Edge only the first time a video loaded. 

I tested your video files on a new slide, and it seems that the flash is only occurring when the video files are on a slide layer vs. the base slide. I'll share this example with my team, and will let you know here as soon as I have any more info! 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey, Nadia! Tell me a little more about this project.

• What version of Storyline are you using? Are you on the latest update?
  • Is the video a MP4 file?
  • Is that file on the base layer or on a slide layer?

If you're able to share the slide with our team for testing, that'd be even better! You can send it privately to our support team here. They'll delete it as soon as they're done troubleshooting.

Nadia Zaid

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for getting back to me.

• I'm using the most current update of SL360.
  • The videos are mp4s (they were mov files converted to mp4 upon import into SL).
  • All videos are on base layers
  • I was using Safari on an iphone X, my colleague experienced the same behavior on Chrome via an iphone 6s.

I also submitted a case (#01789005) and linked back to this thread.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Nadia. Thanks for this handy information!

I see you and my teammate, Christopher, are knee-deep in troubleshooting to get to the root of the flash on mobile issue. Thanks for working with us, and you're in great hands with our skilled Support team.

We're here if there's anything else we can help answer!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Linah!

Sorry, you're running into this snag! We're happy to troubleshoot with you.

Let's start here:

• Which version of Storyline are you using?
  • Have you published the course for HTML5 only?
  • Do the videos work as expected when using a different browser like Chrome?

If you'd like us to take a look at your project, feel free to use this secure upload link. We'll reply after reviewing the course.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Peggy.

We appreciate your patience while our team investigated this.

I am happy to share some great news! We fixed the issue you reported where:
Slide Layer Videos Flick/Blink in Edge

Be sure to install the latest Storyline 360 update (Build 3.49.24347.0) to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes. 

If the problem happens again, please let us know, or you can always work directly with our support engineers here.

Stephanie Mori

Hi there,

I am encountering a similar issue.

I have an mp4 video on the base layer, and it glitches within the first 2 seconds of playing even in preview mode. It also glitches the same way when I publish it to Review360...

I wondered if a solution had been found since it resembles issues stated above. 

I have many slides with mp4's embedded the same way as this one so I cannot figure out why this one is having this issue.

I am running the latest update of storyline

Thank you

Becca Levan

Hello Stephanie, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ⭐️

Happy you reached out! A couple of questions to start:

• Does the video work as expected if you view it in a different browser, or is it having these glitches in all browsers?
  • Was this particular video created differently than the ones that are working fine?

If you can share the video or your project with us, we'd be happy to test it out. Feel free to use this private link, and we'll reach out after testing!

Josh Geiger

Same issues.

Videos will intermittently flicker as they transition to one another. 

My videos are on base layer. This is tough because I don't always have the resources to work with a dedicated video professional and am using storyline to do some of my heavy lifting with video creation. But - every time I load a video asset into rise (via storyline) or even in a fully storyline-built course, I'm just holding my breath as to whether it will play the way it's intended.

Some of the content I am building is really sensitive material, so the blips/flashes/skips come off as unprofessional.

Any advice is appreciated.

Brooke Lown

Good morning,

I'm also having this issue all of the sudden with Vyond videos imported into Storyline. In the instance I'm reviewing now, I notice that when I select a layer with a Vyond on it, my whole computer goes black, and then when the programs come back up, the Vyond plays and flickers. I tried to capture this in a video file but it stopped doing the black screen after a few tries.

I'm downloading my Vyond videos at HD 720 and they are mp4 files.

I do have a quick sample of what the flickering/strobing looks like attached. It is not doing this flickering to any of my imported non-Vyond mp4 videos.

Are there any solutions or workarounds available for this yet? Thanks!

John Morgan

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for sharing that file! I'm sorry you're having this issue with videos flickering! We would love to troubleshoot this for you! Would you be willing to share your story file here or with our support engineers privately in a support case? If you open a support case, please attach the MP4  you included here.

Brooke Lown

Update - Unfortunately, support could not recreate my issue with the files I sent him. The video strobed when I published, but not when he did.

My colleague also experienced this with her last course so I know it's not just my PC. I did a bunch of troubleshooting this weekend and what finally worked for us was reverting to the October 6, 2022 build 3.68.28887.0. We are no longer experiencing this flickering/strobing issue with this older version of SL.

Knowing that this was a new issue for us (we've been doing the same things with our Vyond videos in SL for three years) I guessed that reverting to an earlier version would help. So far so good!

Luciana Piazza

Hi Stephanie, 

Thanks so much for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with your Vyond videos displaying correctly. I understand how frustrating that can be. 

I've created a Support Case on your behalf so we can take a closer look at your file. One of our talented Support Engineers will be in touch shortly via email. 

Thanks so much!