WTH! STORYLINE 360 keeps just closing

Sep 08, 2018

I am not sure what is happening, but I am about to lose my mind. I have a very complicated variable filled course that I am trying to finish.  All of a sudden it just closes. What is causing that, and what can I do so I won't lose my ever loving mind. Thank you for any help you can give me ASAP.

34 Replies
Catherine Austin

At least I know I am not going crazy. If I had the skill to create software, I would make this my #1 priority. I have been to the point of wanting to punch the screen when using Adobe Captivate, because it does unexplained things.  If Storyline 360 is going to start doing this i am going to be so disappointed, especially since I have recommended it to others.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Catherine.  That sounds terribly frustrating!  😕

My gut tells me that something might have become corrupted in the file.  Have you had any issues with previewing the entire project?

Let's cover a few bases first:

• Make sure you're saving your projects to the C: drive and then backing them up to your shared, network or external drives (if you use them).
  • Try importing all of these slides into a new project.  See if the performance improves.
  • If you do experience crashing with previewing your project, I'm happy to help ferret out the issue.  You can share your .story file in the discussion or with me privately.

Looking forward to helping you through this!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Steve.  Please tell your colleague not to hesitate to reach out to support team, if they haven't already.  They can go to www.articulatecase.com and they'll see their 360 for Teams support options available!

I made some recommendations to Catherine in my above reply; feel free to forward the same to your colleague as a starting place!

steve@edsvcs.com Klingler

Thanks Crystal. The interesting thing is that I can publish the same project files without crashing. That would seem to rule out the corrupt project files wouldn't it? 

I am curious about your recommendation to save projects to the C: drive. Why? Is Storyline really sensitive to the drive letter? I ask because I have Storyline installed on C: but I work from my D: drive. I am not having this crashing problem but I do have a handful of other issues as discussed in other threads...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve, 

If you're able to publish files that your colleague is not able to publish, you can ask them to look at repairing Storyline. That's a good first step to ensure Storyline is working correctly. 

The C drive is typically a local drive, whereas a D drive is likely mapped to a network/shared server. That can lead to corruption or other odd behavior in project files as the file is syncing continuously in the background and could have issues with latency. You'll see this detailed more here (with some other best practices to prevent odd behavior). 

I know Crystal is testing a file of yours as well so hopefully, that'll narrow down some of your other odd behavior! 

steve@edsvcs.com Klingler

Two things.

On the "repairing Storyline" - this is simply the uninstall and reinstall procedure. We have tried that and even gone further and fully uninstalled and reinstalled Articualte360. Still happens.

On the C drive. This is why I asked. Your message is clear that what matters is that the drive is local not that it is the C drive. I have two local drives C and D and have found no difference when using either, just wanted to confirm in case your developers actually hard coded references to the C drive in the software. Thanks.

Kayla Sapp

My team and I are also running into this problem. Multiple computers, multiple files, and completely random shutdowns. No warning what-so-ever, it just crashes. I uninstalled and re-installed so I am hoping that helps, but given Steve's comment, I don't have high expectations. It is very frustrating.

Thanks for trying the repair/reinstall. It's a good first step, and if you're still having trouble beyond that working with our Support Engineers will allow them to dig a bit deeper! 

Ah, good point! We don't see that setup as often, so we've gotten in the habit of saying C drive, and need to clarify C drive/locally. Thanks!

Nicole Duclos

I've posted this as well (and you'll find others have too). This has never happened until using 360. Doesn't matter what file and no, I'm not working on network drive, and yes I have all the latest updates. It's happening to a coworker too. 

Two BIG issues with 360:

1. These sudden unexpected closings with no warning or error report
  2. The jumbled trigger panel
Ren Gomez

Hi Nicole,

Sorry to hear Storyline 360 is unexpectedly crashing on you! Hopefully you are coming across temporary versions you can restore

The SL360 repair steps are a good start, but if you’re still having issues, reach out to our support engineers for a closer look into why this is happening. We never want you to spend hours troubleshooting a problem alone, that's why our team is here to help.

Our engineers are working through some final tests with a fix for the trigger panel issue, and hope to have that included in the next update. We'll pop back into this discussion as soon as that's confirmed!

Hi Nicole,

I wanted to pop back in here and let you know that the issue where text overlapped in the triggers panel, making it difficult to read, has been fixed in today's update to Storyline 360, build 3.30.19518.0

To install the latest update launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly. 

Vincent Scoma

Hey Nicole! I have some updates for you! 

I wanted to let you know that we released the newest version of Storyline 3, Update 7 this morning! This release includes a fix for when the text would overlap in the trigger panel.

The next step is to update Storyline 3  by downloading the latest update here

As always, we are happy to answer any questions you have by posting in this discussion or you can contact our Support Engineers directly.

Ren Gomez

Hi Liz,

I'm sorry Storyline suddenly closed on you! I know that's incredibly frustrating, and I'm glad you reached out and opened a case with us.

I see my teammate, Lianne, was able to identify an issue with the logs you sent and replied with some helpful tips. Be sure to let her know if it helped or if continued troubleshooting is needed. You're in great hands!

Shawna Gigs

This is happening to me as well currently. On all different files. Was fine all day and BAM, every course I’ve ever made crashes(I’ve tested a bunch of courses to make sure it wasn’t a corrupt file) - I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest software and also remove my temporary files. Anything else I can try? I’m desperate and have to get the files to the client today!