Forum Discussion

KelleyDoyle-65e
Community Member
4 months ago

.ASPX Files Now Download Instead of Launching from SharePoint

Hello all,

My organization has recently discovered an issue with .aspx files hosted on SharePoint. We've been using them to launch Storyline and Rise files so they act like web pages (like this). However, we just recently found that after reuploading the file or folder to SharePoint, SharePoint no longer opens the page. If you navigate to the .aspx file, it force-downloads the file. If you use the direct URL, you get a File Not Found error.

We suspect this is a SharePoint issue that has to do with the upload process. My IT department has asked me to check here to see if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, what the root cause was (e.g., Microsoft update, policy change, etc.)? 

We're looking at SharePoint because:

• It happens to multiple people in multiple offices (not a computer issue).
  • It happens with Chrome and Edge. Modifying the URL to add ?web=1 has no effect. Clearing cache and cookies has no effect (not a browser issue).
  • I tested the "old" file to confirm it worked, then downloaded the .zip package from SP. When I reuploaded the exact same package back to SP, the file now force-downloads/is not found (so it's not the files or the Storyline version).
  • I copied a file that's still working and uploaded the copy. The original opens as a web page, the copy doesn't (again, not the files). 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

•  
    FancyHippo
    Community Member

If anyone decides to move away from SharePoint, please share what platform you land on.

• I'm curious if anyone has had the opportunity to set up SharePoint Framework (SPFx) and do testing to see if eLearning content runs correctly with it? I've looked at some of the "how to" content out there for SPFx, and to be honest, I'm not sure that's a great solution for us. Our trainers are not developers, and there's a lot of geeky steps that seem to have to happen to execute our content on SharePoint Online using SPFx.

I'm also exploring housing our content on a web server and just use SharePoint Online for the user interface with buttons to everything. That's what we do with SharePoint Online right now, except, of course, in the moment, all of our HTML5 files are in document libraries on SharePoint. We would just have to update all the links on our buttons, and transitioning to a web server would be seamless for our end users.

• To be fair to Microsoft, I suspect this change is to do with tightening up security. I'm a HUGE SharePoint fan and have been from the start BUT, if you think about it... allowing custom scripts to run outside the SharePoint framework is an incredibly dangerous thing to do! It can introduce significant security vulnerabilities that could be exploited to gain unauthorized access to data or execute malicious code.

SharePoint was never designed as an LMS and it really isn't its purpose. We initially flirted with LMS365 in order to provide an LMS that could use the same user database as SharePoint. Which, after all, is a major reason for wanting to include learning and development material on SharePoint - but it was expensive. I don't know if anyone else is using LMS365 now (I think it may have been re-titled)??? 

TichelleBerg-d3
      Community Member

Absolutely, John, Microsoft's change is to tighten up security. I, too, love SharePoint, and have for years, and I'm always a fan of tighter security.

We have no need for an LMS for most of our content. We use our organization's LMS for compliance-related training that requires tracking. But the bulk of our training is more just-in-time support for staff, and it's intended to be accessed quickly. It's a support resource, and we know that if staff have to log on to an LMS to access support content, they won't do it. Hence the SharePoint :) 

• One thing we discovered during our search for a fix is that the coding in the Articulate web files is massively out of date according to one of our Dev folks that have helped us thus far. The coding references SWF code which he found odd. 

Has anyone been able to speak with anyone with Articulate to get any assistance? I'm surprised a staff member hasn't seen this thread yet. 

TichelleBerg-d3
      Community Member

I would expect the SWF code if you're using an older template that still uses the HTML5/Flash hybrid of publishing. I've tried to catch all of those that my team was using and rebuild or retire those projects. But if it's a newer project, that would be disappointing...

FancyHippo
    Community Member

Has anyone noticed an issue with your embedded video files now being downloaded as an .html file instead of showing up properly within a slide?

TichelleBerg-d3
      Community Member

FancyHippothat hasn't happened for me yet. I just republished one and did a test upload to SharePoint Online and it had no problem playing the videos correctly. It did not download the video files.

HayleyNewbery
    Community Member

Hi All, I'm now facing this same issue that everyone here has been describing when publishing to sharepoint using a .aspx file. After investigating with IT and trying the solutions that many of you recommended (thank you!), nothing is working. I have a .aspx file from last year that is publishing just fine, it is the one from 2024 that is not working. When looking at this we realized it doesn't appear to be a Sharepoint issue, we can publish .aspx files just fine. Instead, we think it has to do with the export and something having changed in storyline that is impacting that. Has anyone been able to talk to someone from Articulate support about this issue? If not, does anyone know how to do that? 

KellyAuner
      Staff

Hi HayleyNewbery,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you're running into this issue!

Is this happening with one specific course or multiple courses from 2024? If you'd like to share your file with one of our Support Engineers, you can connect with them in a support case. They'll be happy to take a closer look to resolve your issue or point you in the right direction. We'll delete any files from our systems once troubleshooting is complete.