Forum Discussion

MikeTheMike
Community Member
3 hours ago

360 Degree Image Accessibility

Hi, I have an accessibility issue with 360 degree images and hotspots. I have a 360 formatted jpg that I inserted and I added 4 hotspots with labels that tell the user whether the hotspot is correct or incorrect. However, using the tab button, it has been consistently getting stuck on the first 2 hotspots and going back and forth instead of cycling through all of them (and the player buttons). 

Also, it seems like the arrow buttons don't work automatically as soon as the image loads -- I am assuming this is because it's not in focus and needs to be clicked before the arrow buttons respond (which kind of doesn't help if the person can't use the mouse). 

I'm mostly concerned about fine motor skill disabilities, but also for blind users. My project is for a government org so I've basically just created a workaround where if the user cannot complete the activity, they can hit Esc and an alternative form (a layer with text on it) will show up and the next button will be enabled.

That's OK, but am I missing something around best practices for accessibility with 360 degree images? Vimeo and YouTube seem to have it down really well with keyboard controls but I understand there are additional factors with interactives on the 360 degree images in SL. 

What, if anything, else should I do to make this more accessible via keyboard and screen reader? I know I could use some javascript to autofocus the image so arrow keys work, but that seems like it should be built in already if it's the only thing on the slide. 

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

No RepliesBe the first to reply