Forum Discussion

JenniferSedillo
Community Member
4 months ago

508 compliance and matching

I read that matching blocks are not 508 compliant but I am unsure if there is a way to make them compliant? Can I add something to make it compliant?

• Hi,

First congratulations on considering accessibility. Many organizations, designers, and developers fail to consider learners who have accessibility needs. That mere fact that you are asking about it is a win. 

That said matching can never be compliant. It is possible to build matching questions in Storyline that don't require a mouse but that doesn't make them accessible. It's not just the physical acts of dragging-and-dropping that make it non-compliant. If someone is using a screen reader they have to keep the stem of the question in their mind, then they have to keep each option on left hand side in their mind, and then each option on the right hand side. Then they have have to remember what options they have already used and what options are still available. This places an unreasonable burden on people with disabilities. 

At the core of it matching questions are just a 3 (or 4) multiple choice questions sitting on top of each others shoulders wearing a trench coat. Like cartoon kids trying to sneak into a movie.