Forum Discussion

JanetRecord-d86
Community Member
4 months ago

Accessible quiz slide queries

Hi Heroes, 

I have been trying to study and research accessibility so I can help my team improve  our future courses.  I have undertaken lots of  good training, however  one thing I am stuck on is best practice on making quiz slides accessible. 

I have set the focus order and have tried to use accessible feedback layers.

I have 2 queries;

1. What is best practice for adding the audio - I have added the audio for the options to the base layer but should the option audio be added so they play when an option is selected?

2. When I use the keyboard to navigate the slide I can tab to the set of choices and use the arrow keys to go through them but if I wanted to choose the first option it does not change to the selected state unless I go to another option and then arrow up to the first one. Is this the correct behaviour?

Many thanks for any help with this. Regards Janet

• Hello Janet,

Thanks for reaching out!

Sounds like you have questions about making a Storyline 360 course accessible. You can check out this article for tips on designing accessible courses to help you get started. 

They include steps to make audio files accessible and how to make the course accessible to keyboard users. 

For the second item, I made a quick recording of what's I'm seeing on my end when I tab through the choices. I didn't encounter the behavior where I had to return to the first option to set the state of the choice to the Selected state. Would you mind making a quick Peek 360 recording of what you're seeing so I can test your experience more accurately? 

• Hi Jose,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query. I have read the article you linked, which is really useful for other things, but it does not tell me anything about best practice for quiz slides audio, and whether to add the audio to the base layer or to trigger audio for each individual option on the layers. Which would you recommend?

Thank you for making the recording, I can see that I have the same behaviour as you - that is - when the option a) is in focus it does not change to the selected state until I use the arrow keys to go through the other options and then go back to option a). 

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Janet,

As long as your audio files don't auto-play, you can select if you want to place them in the base layer or additional layers. The project file you shared has audio files that automatically play when the timeline starts, so you may want to change this behavior to trigger-based events. 

Regarding the tab behavior, would you mind tabbing through option A and pressing the space bar? This will allow you to set the state of the option to Selected without having to tab away. 

JanetRecord-d86
        Community Member

Public

Hi Jose,
        Thank you for your reply. I think I have a lot to learn about accessibility. I will do as you suggest and make sure the audio does not autoplay by adding a toggle switch to the slide to mute the audio. I have tried the space bar to select the item and this does work.

Many thanks,
        Janet Record.