Forum Discussion

CarlyMojica
Community Member
8 months ago

Best Setup for Multiple Depts

New to Storyline here...

I am creating a training for a client using the content with three learner groups working in different segments of the business. They wanted a "choose your own adventure" slide where the learner can select the segment in which they work. Based on their selection, all content that comes after is customized to their segment. I assume this can all be built by routing the learners from a main menu slide.

We've begun to discuss edge-case scenarios where someone may switch from one business segment to another. In their new role, they'd need to retake the training to get the information specific to their segment. My question is... how would this work? The company does not want to reset the user's registration and lose access to their past historical data. Is that possible? If not, should I break the training into three separate trainings for each segment, so that if they move from one segment to another, they can take a new training without resetting progress? 

• My personal opinion:

One large training for everybody sounds very attractive and glamorous, but in reality can be a lot more work and development time. It’s longer and harder to implement, and down the road if one department changes their content, it takes time to be sure some other department’s material isn’t affected. Plus with separate segments, you have already solved the “problem” of preserving historical data; you’ve completely eliminated it.

I think the only compelling argument for combining them is if there is a large amount of the training that is common to all, with only a small section that is department specific. Even then, you can develop the common training, copy it, and add to each copy the specific content.

In reality, the way you describe it, it isn’t really much of a build your own adventure. It sounds like there would be one choice at the beginning that would branch off into separate trails. If that’s the case, it’s a pretty short adventure. If each trail becomes a choose your own adventure, it can be created as a stand alone project. Again, if the adventure trails cross and interweave (now a specific choice, now some common material, now specific, etc.) you might be justified in mixing them.

If the choice is always “I’m on the marketing path” or “I’m on the product development path”, then every choice is pre-ordained, and it isn’t much of a “Choose your adventure” proposition.

• I agree with Walt. Since all of the content is customized for a given department, it makes sense to use a different .story file and, thus, have a different course in the LMS for each department. 

I'll add this to the benefits he mentioned: If the content for one department changes enough that those folks need to retake the course, it should be easier to update that course and reassign it. There'd be a new version in the LMS only for that department. 

CarlyMojica
    Community Member

Thank you both for your thoughts! I agree separate modules sounds like the best path forward. 

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Carly!

Glad to see Walt and Judy have been helping you out!

Since you're new to authoring in Storyline 360, I wanted to invite you to our tips and tricks webinars. Once each month at 11am ET, our training team hops on a live call to answer top questions from our customers.

It's super casual (and they're super smart!), so it's a great place to get expert tips and answers to frequently asked questions from our online community. In short, everything you need to create incredible online learning! You can register for the next call here: https://articulate.fyi/3ZiKgu9

Don't worry if you can't make it, because everyone who registers will get a recording sent to them afterward! There's also a huge list of on-demand past trainings available.

Have a great rest of your week!