Forum Discussion

TimOLeary-4325e
Community Member
2 years ago

Change the state of a "Return to Main Menu" button

I followed another discussion to set up a variable to identify a layer as true when the timeline starts but after I set everything up, the menu button immediately shows after one layer is viewed. No clue what I'm doing wrong :(

Btw, this is just a demo for someone, so please ignore the content haha

• I like the humor of your demo.

I have some best practice suggestions.

I was confused by the variables so I changed the names so they sound more like variables, and less like layers.  It also makes it clear what the default value should be. (Of course, if you think they mean "Do I visit this layer?", then you can default to True, and change them to False once the layer is visited, and change the triggers accordingly.)

It may have been an accident, but the X on snoot had an exit animation, so it disappeared before I could click it.

I changed the triggers on the layer to fire when the learner is finished, and clicks Close. It might not matter on these layers, but it is a good habit to get into. If you give credit for visiting the layer/slide when the timeline starts, the learner doesn't have to finish the content if you have timed interactions.

The real slide may be different, but on this one, it is pretty evident where to click. Move the cursor around until it turns to a hand, and click. One solution is to have the cursor be a hand everywhere. To do that, you need a target that covers all of the dog, with a trigger so it shows the hand. I could have done that with a hotspot, but I find they clutter up the development space, so I (personally) prefer not to use them. I created a shape that covers the dog image, set it to have no outline, and a fill. Then I set it to be 98% transparent. If it doesn't have a fill it  doesn't catch the click, and there have been reports of 100% transparency not catching them, either. Move the shape/hotspot below the other hotspots so they can be clicked. Another solution is to deselect the hotspot’s property to Show hand cursor on Hover, and not have a hand anywhere.

It may be just personal preference and not best practice, but when something says "Click", I expect to be able to click either the image/icon, or the text. I changed the layers to reflect that, making the text boxes invisible targets, and using them to cover the X.

As to the problem with the Menu not changing state, I think it would have worked for you if the variables had defaulted to False, except it would have shown as soon as the learner clicked the last layer.  I think it's better to have them finish the last layer and return before it changes.

I created new triggers on the layers to change the variables, and to change the state of Menu.

• Forgot to add. I want the menu button to change to normal after all 3 layers have been visited.

• Thanks, Walt! This is really great information. I've only used rise 360 prior to this so I have a bit of a learning curve to get through.