Forum Discussion

JeffDeSurra
Community Member
7 years ago

Creating Reflection Questions

I'm currently using Rise to create courses that will eventually be used in an LMS. We want to have places where users can answer reflection questions throughout the course. Ideally, we want that data to be persistent, so when a user comes back, they'll see answers that they've entered before. We also want that data to be sent to the LMS so that instructors can see what learners entered. Since Rise can't do text entry, I've created a Storyline scene that is a survey that collects their text entry answers, and then I'm embedding that Storyline into a blocks lesson on Rise. However, I don't think I've done it correctly since I'm not seeing any data. I'm also not sure if they data is getting sent to the LMS. I'm still pretty new to Articulate, so maybe this is a simple fix. Any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide more details or files I'm using if that's helpful.

• Hi Kimberely! 

Are you looking for a text entry question type in Rise? While that's currently not available, I appreciate you letting us know that feature is important to you! We're tracking these requests, so thanks for adding your voice here. 😁

• What if I don't need the data from the text entry to be sent to the LMS but just persistent in the module, so that when a learner returns to the module, they can see what they answered.

JeffDeSurra
    Community Member

Very helpful, thank you! Yes, please put in that suggestion as that would be very helpful for our use case.

What if I was to create the survey solely in Storyline and not use it within Rise but as its own standalone part of the lesson in the LMS. Would the data get sent to the LMS that way?

Crystal-Horn
      Staff

You got it, Jeff.  If you create a survey interaction in Storyline and include a results slide, Storyline can communicate your learners' responses to the LMS.  Here's all the data that Storyline can send.

• Hi there Jeff!

That's an excellent question, and don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong! When you use a Storyline Block in Rise, the data from the Storyline Block isn't communicated to the LMS. 

It sounds like what you really need is a text entry or essay question type in Rise, and for that question data to be sent to the LMS. While that's not on our feature roadmap currently, I'm happy to pass along your suggestion to our Product team.

In the meantime, I've seen other folks embed a survey from Google Forms or something similar to capture essay data from learners. However, the learner won't be able to go back and reread what they wrote, since the embedded form will be reset each time the learner accesses it.

OliviaParkin
      Community Member

is this possible in 2023? I see the post is 5years old...