Forum Discussion

JaredBradshaw-7
Community Member
7 months ago

Dialog Layer Title on Base Layer- Picked Up on Screen Reader

I've run into an issue where the title of the Dialog layer is made mention on the base layer. I am using NVDA screen reader to test. 

My main slide has two clickable icons to pull up two different layers. I have both layers designated as dialog layers. When a layer is selected, it will read everything on the layer except the header title. I've noticed that when I go through the options on the base layer, it will read the dialog layer title as one of the last options.

I've also that it is difficult to indicate when a button has changed to a visited state with a screen reader and using the focus order. Visually, we can see that the state has changed to visited. How do you indicate when a button has been visited for a screen reader to pick up on?

• Hi Jared!

Thanks so much for reaching out. Happy to help!

I just want to clarify what you've tried so far so that I better understand.

• Have you double-checked and customized the focus order for your course? 
    • Do you have descriptions listed for your dialog layers? 

To address your second question, you will need to include alternative text for each state so that your screen reader will read them. Have you included alternative text for each button state?

It would be helpful to take a closer look at your file. Feel free to share your .story file in this thread or privately in a support case. We'll be sure to delete this when we're done! 

Looking forward to hearing from you!