Forum Discussion

LaraSkaggs
Community Member
6 months ago

Downloading Courses - Size of file

Does anyone use Rise, export the course to a SCORM file, and use that in an LMS which allows the users to download the course for offline use? We are trying to do this with our courses through our LMS but we embed videos from Vimeo so the videos don’t actually download for the user. Uploading all these videos into the course makes the size very large to download onto users’ devices. Is there some kind of media library within Articulate that could allow the size to be smaller? Curious if any other users are experiencing this issue and if there is another potential solution to the file size issue?

SPORTACADEMY
    Community Member

Hi. We have the same doubt, did you find any answer/solution for this?

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi SPORTACADEMY!

Thanks for reaching out!

I noticed Lara connected with one of our support engineers privately through a support case. Happy to share the feedback here for anyone else discovering this thread with a similar request:

I understand you're interested in an offline playback of a Rise course. This ultimately depends on the platform where your course is hosted. I'm glad that your LMS seems to accommodate this feature.

I've found a thread where authors would instruct their learners to download the entire Rise exported package and then open the index.html file locally on their device. I haven't tried this yet, though, so I can't guarantee a seamless playback. We always recommend opening an Articulate course in the environment it's intended for. Here's the community thread.
      As you've mentioned, this will not work if your course has videos hosted online. While Rise doesn't have a media library, it automatically compresses the media files embedded into it. This doesn't include web videos or embedded videos because they are handled by their source website. 

If there's a way for you to compress the videos further before embedding them into your course, this might help lower the exported package's file size".