Forum Discussion

AllisonMoffitt
Community Member
2 months ago

Editing existing Rise scorm to update course in LMS - not working as expected

I am using articulate rise 360 and created a scorm course. I have uploaded this to my LMS.  Some people have started it, others are incomplete and some have completed the course. I need to correct a typo error in it.

I have made the changes and replaced the scorm, however the course does not open for incomplete or completed users, it looks as though it is loading but then goes to a blank screen. 

These are the publishing settings I have used:

In more settings - it is in the 'off '  state.

The LMS does not have settings to change for people who are returning.

How do upload the new version without these issues? Am I missing something in the settings? This has not happened for other courses that we have uploaded using rise and we have not changed settings.

• Hello Allison,

Happy to help!

If your learners see a blank page whenever you upload a new version of your course, you'll need to toggle the Reset Learner Progress option in the publishing settings to correct the behavior. Note that with this option enabled, anyone who is in the middle of taking your course will have their progress reset when the new version is uploaded, so it's best to schedule the uploading of new versions ideally when no one is taking your course.

•  We were experiencing the annoying issue with a republished edited RISE SCORM which was not allowing people to re-open a course, blank screen.

What we had been doing (incorrectly) was to make a copy of the course in RISE .. then we edit the copy... then published the edited copy.. then uploaded the published edited copy to the our LMS.. It was then that incomplete or complete users could not re-open to resume....
    On investigation we opened the imsmanifest.xml of both the original SCORM zip and the republished SCORM zip and could see that it had changed the whole internal "identifier" character set in the imsmanifest.xml file of the republished SCORM zip.. so returning users to LMS may have gotten incorrect data request.

We explored Articulate heros and found out...  here is thread
    that if we "duplicate" the original course within RISE ... and renamed the "duplicate" copy name to indicate it is a copy of the original to keep it for historical version control...

Then go back to and edit if necessary the "original" RISE course with wording changes etc... we experimented with editing in RISE just content words.. then adding a Quiz.. then removing the Quiz.

Then in RISE publish it (the original edited) again...  To note is that inspecting the imsmanifest.xml it only changed the last 8 characters in the internal identifier in the imsmanifest.xml file

then we upload this "edited original" SCORM zip file to our LMS...

the republished edited version of the original opened for the users and kept the course completion data and allowed it to resume where it left off.

So it seems that this issue is created when another version of the original course is republished.. it seems RISE doesn't handle version control well ... if the original version is edited and republished the behaviour seems to work as expected.

Side Note... we also found a hack to edit the und.js file in the zipped folder that allowed us to decode the .js file and edit the html and the content .. then re-encode the .js file and replace the original und.js file .. this worked and did not disrupt the completion data of the users.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Rod!

Thank you for sharing the detailed feedback!

I would like our support engineers to have a closer look at the behavior you described, so I've opened a support case on your behalf. You're in excellent hands troubleshooting with them and they should be connecting with you via e-mail shortly!

ShannonBowling
        Community Member

StevenBenassiWe are having a similar problem with version control once we upload to our LMS.  Any solutions?  I do not have the same abilities as Rod in terms of opening and inspecting files. 

Do I need to open a separate ticket?  Even our LMS owner (elsevier) is having difficulty troubleshooting.