Forum Discussion

ScottRicketts-f
Community Member
3 months ago

Focus on player but not on slide

I am sure this is simple but I can't figure it out. When I do a preview of my scene, I can tab through all the player controls but I can't get the focus to go onto the slide. 

I have set a focus order on the objects on the slide. 

Thanks for any help.

• To better explain...

I have a drag-and-drop (see attached). I am making it accessible by using a motion path, but that part is irrelevant. I just want to select a draggable object on the slide by tabbing to them.

The tab just moves around the player and outside menus in the black area. It doesn't go into the slide.

Do I have to turn the draggable objects into buttons? Who would I do that?

Any help or direction is appreciated.

EricSantos
      Staff

Hello Scott,

Happy to help!

Drag-and-drop objects require a mouse for navigation, but you can make them keyboard-accessible by following Sarah Hodge's steps. For your reference, here's the downloadable example and the free webinar where she explains how to build them.

I might be wrong, but from your explanation, it seems you've already stumbled on Sarah Hodge's example. I watched the webinar and opened her downloadable project. You are correct. The draggable objects should be added as buttons. The Focus Order window controls the tab order of interactive objects, including buttons.

Let me know how it goes after converting the draggable objects to buttons.

• Thank you for your response, I have bookmarked those links for future projects. I was able to fix it but it was something else.

For anyone else that might have something similar...

The problem I had was that I had grouped the objects and one of the objects in the group appeared to be stopping the focus from going to that group. As soon as I ungrouped the objects, it worked. I think it was the text box that was stopping the focus from getting there. 

With that said, I am new to this and it might have been something else, and ungrouping might have been a coincidence. I was trying many things at the time.