Forum Discussion

WendyWilliams-8
Community Member
3 months ago

HELP!! Using variables where the value starts with a zero

I am creating a multi-field fill in the blank question using varables.  The trigger is, If Filers TIN = value 00-0132501.  But when I try to enter that, it drops the leading zeroes.  Is there a way to get it to put exactly what I type (including leading zeroes) I know that happens in Excel to and if I start with '00-0... it will keep the format.  Is there such a technique here?  I have included a screenshot so you can see what I am talking about. I really need those zeroes!  LOL

Thank you,

Wendy

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Use a alphabetic text entry field instead of a numeric, and this should work fine.

WendyWilliams-8
      Community Member

Thanks, not sure why I didn't think of that. It is Monday though. LOL

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
      Get Outlook for Android

• Hi Wendy,

If you are using a number variable, but you are entering numbers that do not need to be entered into calculations, such as a Taxpayer Identity Number, why not try using a text variable instead?

This way, the state of the button can be changed when the user enters the exact text information, such as "00-0132501". If you use a graded question slide with a fill-in-the-blank question and assign it to a text variable, it can also grade whether or not the entry was correct.

See the attached project file for an example.

WendyWilliams-8
      Community Member

It is multiple fields that need to be completed and evaluated. For the answer to be graded as correct all fields must be entered correctly on the form not just that one. By using the variables as shown, when the answer is all correct it triggers a correct answer that is actually graded so that part I have solved. :) I guess I can change it to a text field for some reason that option just didn't cross my mind.

Thanks!
      Wendy

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
      Get Outlook for Android

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Monday?!! 

Uh oh, I think you've lost a day somewhere hehehe ๐Ÿ˜œ 

Good luck with the solution though, it should work well

• LOL no I didn't lose a day, it just FELT like Monday all day!!  ๐Ÿ˜Thanks again for reminding me of the basics...it was a tough day Monday or not!! ๐Ÿ˜œ